• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Levy recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M_M

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I went to court in Volusia County Florida in December 2011. During that hearing my parental rights were terminated and child support was dropped. My arrears were set to 10 k and 150 a month was established as payment. I have all the supporting documents and I also supplied the courts with them as well. I received a payment coupon that asks for payment on 2/16 and shows no arrears. Yesterday my bank account showed a levy for 10k and they subsequently took what funds I had in my account. I have been to the court house and the Department of revenue. The court says it's the DOR. The DOR for Volusia county says that the levy came from Tallahassee. I was given a number and after leaving a message on a v.m. the number now goes to a cell phone vm that tells me it is full. :-/

Is there a requirement of notification? And is the levy reversible? And is there any way to talk to a human!!! I am thinking the best way is to file a motion with the court and just cash my checks until it's settled or consult an attorney and sue (if you can) . Oh. and the system sucks. Thank you for any help. I appreciate it. Because I am frustrated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I went to court in Volusia County Florida in December 2011. During that hearing my parental rights were terminated and child support was dropped. My arrears were set to 10 k and 150 a month was established as payment. I have all the supporting documents and I also supplied the courts with them as well. I received a payment coupon that asks for payment on 2/16 and shows no arrears. Yesterday my bank account showed a levy for 10k and they subsequently took what funds I had in my account. I have been to the court house and the Department of revenue. The court says it's the DOR. The DOR for Volusia county says that the levy came from Tallahassee. I was given a number and after leaving a message on a v.m. the number now goes to a cell phone vm that tells me it is full. :-/

Is there a requirement of notification? And is the levy reversible? And is there any way to talk to a human!!! I am thinking the best way is to file a motion with the court and just cash my checks until it's settled or consult an attorney and sue (if you can) . Oh. and the system sucks. Thank you for any help. I appreciate it. Because I am frustrated.
You had a court order for support -- that court order is your notification. The fact that you were in arrears 10k -- that money can be seized by any method at any time. You were notified when your arrears were set at 10k. What sucks quite frankly is a deadbeat parent who amassed arrears of 10k and then had his/her rights terminated to the child for which they were responsible.

Antigone*

You acknowledge you owe the $10K in arrears, now the arrears have been paid. What is the problem?:confused:

M_M

Antigone. First of all. I still see him. Secondly, he was adopted by a friend and has a great family. Arrears is set by the court from when he was born. And since we waited 2 years (I was paying support the whole time) We had to go through custody and support hearings so that the adoption could be sought.

Last edited by a moderator:

M_M

It is being paid. I want to know why the levy when everything was legal and was suppose to be paid by me starting 2/16. There should be no levy because nothing is past due.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Antigone. First of all. I still see him. Secondly, he was adopted by a friend and has a great family. Arrears is set by the court from when he was born. And since we waited 2 years (I was paying support the whole time) We had to go through custody and support hearings so that the adoption could be sought.
I asked you a legitimate question. Now you won't get my help and I doubt that any of my esteemed colleagues won't either as they do not want to get ripped as I just have.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecmst12

You will never get advanced notice of a bank levy. If you did, you would move your money, defeating the purpose of the levy.

M_M

Yea. I get that. I guess I was referring to notification from the DOR that there was missed payments or something saying I am behind and there are steps being taken.
Thank you.

when you have your account wiped out for a reason that isn't under your control and you ask for help. One should not assume that I am a DEADBEAT. You could ask if you wanted to "help" Instead you ripped me for circumstances you know nothing of. I am a veteran, a pilot and a good person. Who are you to assume. Did you ever listen to your guidance counselor sir? I paid and have no problem paying. And the 150 a month is because I had already paid 10 grand and told her to put that in his college fund and the additional also. Since there isn't a hurry we agreed I could do it cheaply.

To anyone else I am asking for advice based on the fact I have done everything right and I would like help or advice on the DOR making a mistake. Thanks.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Yea. I get that. I guess I was referring to notification from the DOR that there was missed payments or something saying I am behind and there are steps being taken.
Thank you.
And Ohiogal
Sir when you have your account wiped out for a reason that isn't under your control and you ask for help. One should not assume that I am a DEADBEAT. You could ask if you wanted to "help" Instead you ripped me for circumstances you know nothing of. I am a veteran, a pilot and a good person. Who are you to assume. Did you ever listen to your guidance counselor sir? I paid and have no problem paying. And the 150 a month is because I had already paid 10 grand and told her to put that in his college fund and the additional also. Since there isn't a hurry we agreed I could do it cheaply.

To anyone else I am asking for advice based on the fact I have done everything right and I would like help or advice on the DOR making a mistake. Thanks.

The point remains, is that the DOR has not necessarily made a mistake. But again, on the bright side? The arrears are now paid off, no?

mistoffolees

Go back to DOR and ask them to see a copy of the levy. Or ask your bank for a copy of the levy. Then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">