• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the percentage split between a music publisher and a songwriter with Sync Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomrules

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
-----------------
Hi,

I'm a songwriter and I'm wondering what percentage a typical music publisher gets on the sync license fee. I know that a typical co-publishing deal gives the publisher a total of 25% of the royalties. But I want to know, what does a publisher get from the fee itself.

I had an administration deal in the past, where the administrator got 10-20% of the sync fee and none of the royalties.

In this present scenario, I'm trying to understand what is typical for a publisher to get of the fee. For example, if a commercial would like to license a song for $10,000, what percentage of that does the publisher take (regardless of the 75/25 co-publishing split on the royalties)? Would it be 25% or more along the lines of an administrative fee of 10-20%?

Any help with this would be great, as I can't find many articles that discuss this very specific thing.

Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">