• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bradchilton4

I live in AZ and have recently been named the father in a paternity case. I am not listed on the birth certificate and the state is coming after me as well because my ex received public assistance. The child is 14 months old. What are my rights in this type of case? What can I do to make sure I do not get screwed by the courts so I can establish paternity and have rights to this child if he is mine?

Just Blue

I live in AZ and have recently been named the father in a paternity case. I am not listed on the birth certificate and the state is coming after me as well because my ex received public assistance. The child is 14 months old. What are my rights in this type of case? What can I do to make sure I do not get screwed by the courts so I can establish paternity and have rights to this child if he is mine?
1. Request a DNA test so that you KNOW this child is yours.
2. Request, after paternity is established, visitation.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Did you sign the AOP at the hospital? If you did, you may be legally declared Dad without any DNA testing.

If not, you can ask for a DNA test. Then, you can file for visitation/custody (which is separate from Child Support). :cool:

bradchilton4

Did you sign the AOP at the hospital? If you did, you may be legally declared Dad without any DNA testing.

If not, you can ask for a DNA test. Then, you can file for visitation/custody (which is separate from Child Support). :cool:
I was not even present at the hospital when the baby was born that's why I am confused as to how the state can name me as the father.. I have not signed anything or taken any tests at all.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I was not even present at the hospital when the baby was born that's why I am confused as to how the state can name me as the father.. I have not signed anything or taken any tests at all.
Because she named you to the state as a PUTATIVE father. That means that you'll have the opportunity to ask for a DNA test.

And legally unfit is BEYOND most anything you think Mom is doing, so you might as well get past that noise. :cool:

CSO286

You have the right to respond to the action, to request a DNA test, and you have the right (if found to be the father) to request a legally enforceable parenting plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">