• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At 25 can I sue my dad who I just found for back cs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aintnogood

I was born in idaho. but I have resided most of my time in oregon.
I was just for the first time able to get in contact with my father. I am 25 and never had any information on him, tell my aunt passed away about a year and a half ago. she left me a box with his name, letters to my mom and payments for child support, non court ordered. the payments only go until about 5 years old, my mother passed away shortly after that and I never heard anything about him from my aunt who raised me. Now that I have contacted him can I sue him for back child support?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was just for the first time able to get in contact with my father. I am 25 and never had any information on him, tell my aunt passed away about a year and a half ago. she left me a box with his name, letters to my mom and payments for child support, non court ordered. the payments only go until about 5 years old, my mother passed away shortly after that and I never heard anything about him from my aunt who raised me. Now that I have contacted him can I sue him for back child support?
Nope .

Just Blue

No. If there was no CO Support, then Mom's estate has no right to sue at this time.

ecmst12

Child support was never owed to YOU but to the people who paid the expenses to raise you (mom and then aunt).

Antigone*

So are you looking for your dad, or a cash cow?:rolleyes:

nextwife

How do you know mom did not move you away from him and deny him the ability to be dad to you? How do you know he even knew where you were after age 5? Maybe MOM was unfair to dad and removed you where he couldn't find you?

No way you KNOW the whole story.

All you want is dollars that wouldn't even belong to you, they'd belong to whomever supported you IF they were owed. Which they are NOT.

aintnogood

ok, thanks. that is true, it would be money owed to those that raise me.

but as to you "nextwife" you can keep your opinions to yourself. based off what little information I provided I don't see how you could or could not know what I know. btw I did say I found him. He made it clear he wanted nothing to do with me, then or now. so ya, my mother didn't keep me from him.

looking for a "cash cow"....maybe. I would call it closer. If you can't step up and take responsibility for your actions, maybe you can atleast let the child try to better themselves. It would be the least he could do.

Antigone*

ok, thanks. that is true, it would be money owed to those that raise me.

but as to you "nextwife" you can keep your opinions to yourself. based off what little information I provided I don't see how you could or could not know what I know. btw I did say I found him. He made it clear he wanted nothing to do with me, then or now. so ya, my mother didn't keep me from him.

looking for a "cash cow"....maybe. I would call it closer. If you can't step up and take responsibility for your actions, maybe you can atleast let the child try to better themselves. It would be the least he could do.
Glad we were able to clear things up for you.:D

Oh and about our opinions, they are free too. When you pay for advice, you can dictate what commentary you will or will not tolerate. Since this is free, we're entitled.:D

Eekamouse

I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to say that OP's screen name might reflect why dear old dad wants nothing to do with him.:rolleyes:

SESmama

Mom has passed. Any CS would be owed to her (or aunt if it has been filed for). Since she is no longer living she has no way to file for CS. No, her estate cannot file for her. CS is for a child. You are no longer a child so you no longer need supporting. You are now an adult, and as such, you are expected to support yourself.

aintnogood

Eekamouse: I wouldn't want to sue him if he had been useful at all as a parent. Your rude, know nothing about me, and bet you wouldn't say that to my face. big man on the internet

aintnogood

I love how alot of you support a dead beat dad. I have a family that I take care of, but I require surgery every few years due to my family health history. I don't really get dogging on me. I didn't bring something into this world that I couldn't take care of, or get away with not taking care of it.

Proserpina

I love how alot of you support a dead beat dad. I have a family that I take care of, but I require surgery every few years due to my family health history. I don't really get dogging on me. I didn't bring something into this world that I couldn't take care of, or get away with not taking care of it.

Nobody is supporting a deadbeat father.

You're simply being told the truth - as the adult child, you have no standing at all to sue for child support.

Money, incidentally, would not bring you closure.

It would likely make you feel like a commodity being bought and sold - and that brings with it a whole new set of psychological issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">