• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boston Mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BostonDBA

Hello from Massachusetts,

My head is spinning from the unbelievable situation I have found myself in, so I am going to keep this as short as possible.
please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have changed the names to protect all parties

Pat = business partner who works for someone else
John = real owner of construction company
Jill= owner of construction company on paper only (I never met her)

I entered into a partnership agreement with these people. I was to be the only full time employee who would build the company until the others could be hired. Pat never signed the aggreement, he had his wife sign it because he was afriad his current job would see he was trying to build a business.

We created a DBA of the construction company and John paid me under the table to get things started. I signed a partnership agreement for 20% of the net profits and ownership.

I performed the following tasks:
created website
created all advertising
aquired new projects
did field work/ service
created all company quote templates
completed all company paper work
performed all accounting of DBA through quickbooks
performed all engineering of projects

Basicly, I did 99% of the company tasks, which I expected.

John has recently been arrested and held for the past week by immigration. I discovered that he has been cheating on his wife because his mistress recently called me and said it was too complicated for him to call me from jail. I have been told by various sources that he has been arressted for finacial reasons.

There are incoming invoices totalling $30,000. I have registered a new DBA under a company I had formed a year earlier. The new DBA is different than the DBA john registered. I then called the client and gave them the new FID number and mailing address.

Pat is ok and agrees with this.

All accounting and actions performed by myself and the DBA have been legal, although John has used the DBA account for things unrelated to the business.

My question is how do I completely break away from John? Our partnership aggreement was never registered with the state. The client wants me to continue servicing them and does not care if John is no longer around.

HomeGuru

Hello from Massachusetts,

My head is spinning from the unbelievable situation I have found myself in, so I am going to keep this as short as possible.
please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have changed the names to protect all parties

Pat = business partner who works for someone else
John = real owner of construction company
Jill= owner of construction company on paper only (I never met her)

I entered into a partnership agreement with these people. I was to be the only full time employee who would build the company until the others could be hired. Pat never signed the aggreement, he had his wife sign it because he was afriad his current job would see he was trying to build a business.

We created a DBA of the construction company and John paid me under the table to get things started. I signed a partnership agreement for 20% of the net profits and ownership.

I performed the following tasks:
created website
created all advertising
aquired new projects
did field work/ service
created all company quote templates
completed all company paper work
performed all accounting of DBA through quickbooks
performed all engineering of projects

Basicly, I did 99% of the company tasks, which I expected.

John has recently been arrested and held for the past week by immigration. I discovered that he has been cheating on his wife because his mistress recently called me and said it was too complicated for him to call me from jail. I have been told by various sources that he has been arressted for finacial reasons.

There are incoming invoices totalling $30,000. I have registered a new DBA under a company I had formed a year earlier. The new DBA is different than the DBA john registered. I then called the client and gave them the new FID number and mailing address.

Pat is ok and agrees with this.

All accounting and actions performed by myself and the DBA have been legal, although John has used the DBA account for things unrelated to the business.

My question is how do I completely break away from John? Our partnership aggreement was never registered with the state. The client wants me to continue servicing them and does not care if John is no longer around.
**A: there are a number of legal things that you must do so hire an attorney to help you. This sort of thing is not for a do it yourselfer.

BostonDBA

I would like to do that. But I only have $24 to my name.

I have many vendors and clients who are willing to help me out. But for right now I am broke and must finish the projects before getting paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">