• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get child support cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andreamoton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I am wondering how i can get the support cancelled on children over 21 for children i do not believe are mine so that my current child receives my support through taxes and my employment. I have been paying for years now and the state says i owe 60,000 65,000 55,000 and 5000 i believe that the 3 higher numbers that i owe are not my children so what can i do.:confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am wondering how i can get the support cancelled on children over 21 for children i do not believe are mine so that my current child receives my support through taxes and my employment. I have been paying for years now and the state says i owe 60,000 65,000 55,000 and 5000 i believe that the 3 higher numbers that i owe are not my children so what can i do.:confused:
Were you declared the parent of those children at any point? If so, you can NOT disestablish paternity at this juncture.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Interesting user name for a Dad... And I think one is safe to assume that Dad is the interested party - Mom would know if the kiddos popped from her nether regions. So... "andrea", are you really Dad incognito, or Dad's current friend?

mistoffolees

Ask them for an itemized report of what is owed for each child - and documentation that you are the legal parent of each child. If they refuse to provide documentation, you'll probably need an attorney to force the issue. If it's a simple clerical matter of them getting someone else's kids under your name, you should be able to fix it.

But OG is right - if were legally declared your children at some point, it is unlikely that you can disestablish it now. The fact that you were ordered to pay child support suggests that paternity was established - unless it is a simple clerical error.

So please provide the facts:
- Were you married to Mom when the children were born?
- Was there a formal finding of paternity at any time in the past?
- Why do you think they're not yours?
- If you think it's a mistake, why didn't you do something about it during all the years that it would have taken to accumulate $185,000 in arrears?

ecmst12

Alternately, OP could travel back in time to when he signed the AOP without a DNA test, or when he failed to appear at the hearing to establish paternity and was found to be the father by default, and handle things differently. But there likely is not anything he can do WITHOUT inventing time travel.

sandyclaus

Interesting user name for a Dad... And I think one is safe to assume that Dad is the interested party - Mom would know if the kiddos popped from her nether regions. So... "andrea", are you really Dad incognito, or Dad's current friend?
Andrea is a name that can actually go both ways (male or female gender). It's definition means "Man, warrior; manly" and is considered a form of the name "Andreas". Andrea | Name Meaning & Origin | Boy or Girl Name Andrea | Baby Names World

Think Andrea Bocelli, a world-famous blind opera singer, who is most definitely a man. :D

sandyclaus

Were the two of you married at the time these children were born? Unless you questioned paternity at the time, the law in almost all instances will consider the married spouse to be the father of the child when born during the marriage.

It looks to me like you have been (somewhat) regularly paying for the one child, but have refused to pay for the other two for some time (especially with $125,000 in arrears). That sounds to me like you should have dealt with the question of paternity LONG ago, and now, even IF you can disestablish paternity, it's going to be a seriously uphill climb for you.

mistoffolees

Were the two of you married at the time these children were born? Unless you questioned paternity at the time, the law in almost all instances will consider the married spouse to be the father of the child when born during the marriage.

It looks to me like you have been (somewhat) regularly paying for the one child, but have refused to pay for the other two for some time (especially with $125,000 in arrears). That sounds to me like you should have dealt with the question of paternity LONG ago, and now, even IF you can disestablish paternity, it's going to be a seriously uphill climb for you.
Still waiting for OP to answer the questions in post #6.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">