• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Question. Please Someone Help Me!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommy102673

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana. Shreveport, Louisiana.; My ex-wife and I divorced 4 years ago. Several months ago my ex-wife decided to take me to court for child support. I was paid up on child support, actually I was ahead of what I was required to pay but some information had been lost to prove this and she knew it, so she took advantage of the situation. We went to court several months ago, the judge decided in her favor but told me I could appeal, I immediately went to the room to appeal after court was over and filed an appeal. We have not been back to court yet for the appeal, and if you go to the Louisiana website to look up and see if you owe any child support it says, "No records found". I was also under the belief that if you filed an appeal you do not have to pay anything until the appeal has been settled. I filed my taxes, I was getting back a little more than $4,500.00 and the child support office took every penny yesterday. Even though I have an appeal filed, and even though if you look up myself on the Louisiana Child Support website it says no records found they still took my money. I needed that money to pay rent because I am unemployed and now I will get evicted. On top of all of that she plays this game with me and decides when she will let me see my son, even though by court order from our divorce 4 years ago I am supposed to get my son every weekend she still thinks she has say so and we have joint custody, for example; she has kept my son from me for the past two weekends without even a reason and will not answer my calls or text messages so I can find out what is going on. Can they do that? Is that legal? What can I do? Help please...

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana. Shreveport, Louisiana.; My ex-wife and I divorced 4 years ago. Several months ago my ex-wife decided to take me to court for child support. I was paid up on child support, actually I was ahead of what I was required to pay but some information had been lost to prove this and she knew it, so she took advantage of the situation. We went to court several months ago, the judge decided in her favor but told me I could appeal, I immediately went to the room to appeal after court was over and filed an appeal. We have not been back to court yet for the appeal, and if you go to the Louisiana website to look up and see if you owe any child support it says, "No records found". I was also under the belief that if you filed an appeal you do not have to pay anything until the appeal has been settled. I filed my taxes, I was getting back a little more than $4,500.00 and the child support office took every penny yesterday. Even though I have an appeal filed, and even though if you look up myself on the Louisiana Child Support website it says no records found they still took my money. I needed that money to pay rent because I am unemployed and now I will get evicted. On top of all of that she plays this game with me and decides when she will let me see my son, even though by court order from our divorce 4 years ago I am supposed to get my son every weekend she still thinks she has say so and we have joint custody, for example; she has kept my son from me for the past two weekends without even a reason and will not answer my calls or text messages so I can find out what is going on. Can they do that? Is that legal? What can I do? Help please...
Yes, CSEA can seize a tax refund. It is usually filed in the fall of the year for the coming year's tax filings.

Have you attempted to pick up Junior (went to the exchange point) or have you accepted Mom's "No" and left it at that? If you've accepted Mom's 'No', then there is no real contempt. I'd suggest going to the exchange point when it's time for you to pick Junior up. Buy something from a convenience store in that area and keep the receipt. Have the local PD/Sheriff write a report stating that you were there for pickup and Mom wasn't. (You may have to be persistent about that.) That's how you prove contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">