• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sherbert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas, divorced in Nebraska

My ex-husband wants to take me back to court to try to lower child support instead of paying what is ordered. He's hired an attorney, so I am wondering if I should too? He is the equivalent of 2 1/2 years behind, and has a habit of quitting numerous jobs during the year, once the garnishment catches up with him. He works part of the year for cash for area farmers, so I have no way to prove he makes more money than he claims. He drives a brand new vehicle (though his license has been suspended for non-payment) while mine is a 2000. We have three sons, but only one under the child support order anymore. He has never paid for anything school or college related, does not provide insurance as the court has mandated, and does not help pay for clothes, etc. I am frustrated and cannot afford to pay an attorney, but need some advice. Please help .....

Antigone*

My ex-husband wants to take me back to court to try to lower child support instead of paying what is ordered. He's hired an attorney, so I am wondering if I should too? He is the equivalent of 2 1/2 years behind, and has a habit of quitting numerous jobs during the year, once the garnishment catches up with him. He works part of the year for cash for area farmers, so I have no way to prove he makes more money than he claims. He drives a brand new vehicle (though his license has been suspended for non-payment) while mine is a 2000. We have three sons, but only one under the child support order anymore. He has never paid for anything school or college related, does not provide insurance as the court has mandated, and does not help pay for clothes, etc. I am frustrated and cannot afford to pay an attorney, but need some advice. Please help .....
I understand you are frustrated and you can curb your frustration by now allowing yourself to compare what he has against what you don't have.

When he files and you are served you will have to file your answer. You might want to seek the assistance of legal aid if available in your area.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Approach the state CSEA to enforce your CS order. :cool:

sherbert

Child Support Enforcement was in the process of serving him with contempt of court for non-payment, now they said they will wait to see what the judge says. Do I need to provide proof of income for how many years back or show documentation of what I have paid for the boys' things? What all would be appropriate or pertinent to take to court?

mistoffolees

Child Support Enforcement was in the process of serving him with contempt of court for non-payment, now they said they will wait to see what the judge says. Do I need to provide proof of income for how many years back or show documentation of what I have paid for the boys' things? What all would be appropriate or pertinent to take to court?
You do not have to provide documentation of what you've paid to support the children.

If the court asked you for documentation of your income, you have to provide it. It varies by state and I'm not going to bother looking it up because it should be on the subpoena.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">