• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to more child support if I lose my job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Radiance71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
We were told today that our department was getting elliminated and it was unsure if we would be reassigned to anoother department.
Currently my child support is $24/month because I was making double of what my ex makes. Also, according to the divorce papers I am responsible for paying for health insurance and the preschool (this way I didnt have to pay him child support)
hopefully all be ok, but if I get fired, can i ask for him to pay more child support, at least until I find a job? (Already looking)
Thank you

ecmst12

If you end up unemployed for a while or taking a pay cut, you can file for modification. Ex does NOT have to pay anything other than what the court order says, so until a modification is GRANTED, ex pays the same amount.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have a question. If your ex lost his job, would you be okay with taking less support?

mistoffolees

If you end up unemployed for a while or taking a pay cut, you can file for modification. Ex does NOT have to pay anything other than what the court order says, so until a modification is GRANTED, ex pays the same amount.
However, court can impute an income. That is more likely to happen when someone is fired for cause, but it can happen even with a layoff if the judge feels that the person could easily get another job. That is, if your McDonald's closes and there's another one down the street that's hiring, the judge can impute an income. OTOH, if the only thing you're trained to do is to cross-pollinate zinnias - and the only nursery in the area closes down, it's less likely.

Radiance71

I have a question. If your ex lost his job, would you be okay with taking less support?
Legally, I dont know, Morally, he should be entitled to some relief. so, Yes, I would be ok with taking less if we were to lose his Job
If he has no job, where would the money come for child support?
As long as he lost it, like me, for no fault of his own. Well, it has not been confirmed, hopefully I will habe no gap on income.

I think at the end, it is about the child having main needs covered, If I cannot provide dinner for him, then I know his dad will not let him go hungry, although I might need to drop him at his house even on the days he is soupossed to be with me so he can eat.

If I end up on a shelter, His dad will have to provide sleeping accomodations each night, not only on the ones he has him now.

But this has nothing to do with my question. going back to it, I guess the answer is mainly no, so I have to plan around that.

I dont know how to cross-pollinate zinnias :)- but I am not afraid of cleaning bathrooms if that is what I have to do to feed my son and provide for him.

Thanks!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If you are laid off (involuntarily unemployed), you should file for a modification. ASAP. No one can tell you if it will be granted, but it is worth filing for.

Really not sure how the questions about his theoretic job loss fits in.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Simply making the point that this is a sword that cuts both ways. This poster apparently understands that - good for her. I mean that sincerely. We have quite a few posters who do not and would expect more money if they lost their job, but would scream bloody murder if they were asked to take less in the reverse situation.

This poster has my respect for her response to my question. Truly. :)

Radiance71

Thank you Stealth2, you have given me the best answer.

I will wait, if I am let go, I will immediatelly make the move and file for modification, not count on it, but hope for it and leave it to God to do His thing.

I am getting all my other financial affairs in order meanwhile,

cbg, I still think there was no need to hijack my post, but you had no way to know this: you are not dealing with your everyday divorced single mom.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you Stealth2, you have given me the best answer.

I will wait, if I am let go, I will immediatelly make the move and file for modification, not count on it, but hope for it and leave it to God to do His thing.

I am getting all my other financial affairs in order meanwhile,

cbg, I still think there was no need to hijack my post, but you had no way to know this: you are not dealing with your everyday divorced single mom.
Your post was not hijacked.

ETA: Is this the job in Boca which you wanted to take in August?

Last edited:

nextwife

Legally, I dont know, Morally, he should be entitled to some relief. so, Yes, I would be ok with taking less if we were to lose his Job
If he has no job, where would the money come for child support?
As long as he lost it, like me, for no fault of his own. Well, it has not been confirmed, hopefully I will habe no gap on income.

I think at the end, it is about the child having main needs covered, If I cannot provide dinner for him, then I know his dad will not let him go hungry, although I might need to drop him at his house even on the days he is soupossed to be with me so he can eat.

If I end up on a shelter, His dad will have to provide sleeping accomodations each night, not only on the ones he has him now.

But this has nothing to do with my question. going back to it, I guess the answer is mainly no, so I have to plan around that.

I dont know how to cross-pollinate zinnias :)- but I am not afraid of cleaning bathrooms if that is what I have to do to feed my son and provide for him.

Thanks!
Have you started looking for a different job? Will you be eligable for unemployment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't see it as a hijack, but as a way to make a point that evidently did not need making with you. As you say, I had no way of knowing that you were the one in maybe 1000 posters for whom the point did not need to be made.

Radiance71

I understand cbg, In looking at other divorce women, (and man too) there are very few healthy divorces. This is a concious decision I made for myself and for my son. It took a lot of spiritual work to get there. And I continue growing.

I can tell you a load of horrible things about my ex. We are not friends, but we are very good co-parents, and I take the credit for that, ha! :D

I am not trying to go get him or punish him for anything, just trying to see what am I legally and morally entitled to in case of job loss.

I am looking and interviewing already.
I need to check my ssn statement and see if I get any unemployment.
Do you know how can I get that?

I am also checking where can I cut corners. (no, I dont have cable :rolleyes:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">