• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse's Income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HBR512

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I live in Ohio, with my fiance and two biological children. He has five children total - 2 of which he pays support for here in Ohio (which is not the question at hand). He also has children in California that he pays child support to. California actually has the jurisdiction of that order, but it is enforced here in Ohio. He is unemployed (not willingly, though) but still makes his payments on time through his unemployment check. After we are married, can California take my income into consideration to "up" his support out there?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer this!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I live in Ohio, with my fiance and two biological children. He has five children total - 2 of which he pays support for here in Ohio (which is not the question at hand). He also has children in California that he pays child support to. California actually has the jurisdiction of that order, but it is enforced here in Ohio. He is unemployed (not willingly, though) but still makes his payments on time through his unemployment check. After we are married, can California take my income into consideration to "up" his support out there?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer this!
First, it's not your business. Have him sign up with his own account.

Second, please have him keep all of his questions in one thread. It gets very confusing when people post part of their story in different threads and the volunteers have to search all over to figure out what's going on.

HBR512

I'm sorry - I thought they were two separate threads. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

And, it is my business on this one because it is my income that is at stake.

Thank you for your time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm sorry - I thought they were two separate threads. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

And, it is my business on this one because it is my income that is at stake.

Thank you for your time.
Don't have a joint account or joint property with him and you will not risk losing anything of yours if he falls behind. But truthfully -- legally NOT your business because YOU did not help create his children in CA.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
While I normally agree that spouses should leave it to the one paying/receiving support to delve into questions therein, in THIS case, I think OP has every right to ask if or how her income might be affected by their marriage and his unemployment. (Note - I have NOT read the other thread.)

OP... what was not mentioned to you is that, if Dad doesn't have the resources to pay his support, you are certainly welcome to help him. And if he gets very behind and has the threat of jail hanging over him, you may find it preferable to help him with the purge amount. However, your income will not be used to calculate his child supprot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">