• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not returning license plates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klolly

My husband sold his truck to someone about a month and a half ago. He let the guy use his plates to take the truck home with the understanding the guy would bring them back the next day when he went to get the title transferred. Needless to say he still hasn't brought the tags back OR transferred the title. My question is what can we do legally to get them back. We have had to put insurance back on the truck so that if it is recked it it covered. I would appreciate any help I can get at this time. We have tried to find the guy repeatedly with no success.

JETX

Since you didn't tell us where you are (see the RED text at the top of the screen) and you say you can't find the buyer (or the tags), it seems to me that you need to report the tags as stolen with the PD. Also, be sure to advise the state that the vehicle has been sold. That might help limit your liability and force the buyer to register the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">