• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store Credit for Returned Merchandise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kveswey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I received a store credit for merchandised returned and was told that the store credit expires in 30 days. I can only use the store credit at their stores. I was under the impression that in California by law store credits can not expire. What is the law?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I received a store credit for merchandised returned and was told that the store credit expires in 30 days. I can only use the store credit at their stores. I was under the impression that in California by law store credits can not expire. What is the law?
It is legal as long as the store has clearly posted this policy so that customers are aware of it.

You are lucky that they accepted the item back at all. Sellers are not required by law to accept returned items unless they are defective.

See here for more information: Consumers - Refund Policies - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">