• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website/Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wondering5

Involving Internet/Website/Copyright There are many derivatives of bidding types of websites. How can a site be functional and your own without breaking infringement laws? There are certain niches yes. There are also niches which are similar but definitively different as well. I know this may seem relatively gray, but if anyone has any insight I would welcome it.

:D

quincy

That is not an easy question to answer in a forum setting, wondering5. If you are thinking of starting a business, you are best off having all of your specific plans personally reviewed by a professional. This is the best way to avoid any legal issues arising from your site.

A good site to review for information is http://kcnn.org, with a click on "legal risks" to see areas of greatest concern for anyone operating or contributing to a website.

Very basically, facts and ideas cannot be copyrighted. Layouts and designs of a site cannot be copyrighted (although they could potentially have trademark protection). The idea to have a bidding website, therefore, is one that anyone can use.

With that said, websites and web pages are copyrightable and so is any sort of media displayed on the website (text, photos, artwork, music, etc). This is where the risk of infringement can be greatest.

Again, I suggest you review your specific plans with a professional in your area. That is the best way to get advice tailored to you and your specific concerns. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">