• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice from child support services div. request income info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mestressed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
Long story...
I live in WA state. Years ago, working for a company doing business in Mexico frequently. I would sometimes date a Mexican woman working for company there. She has baby, says I'm the father, but doesn't want anything from me. Later, marries, and has another child.
Now, I receive a notice from Los angeles CSSD requesting my financial info to create child support account. Child listed has her mothers last name and another last name, which I assume is her husbands. I believe she has received state support, and claim is being by state. I did not respond to notice, and have never been served with summons or court order, or complaint. 3 months later I receive notice from CCSD that they have sent request to my employer for income verification.
The child is probably 10 years old now. I don't know who the father is, or if a father is listed on birth certificate.
Meanwhile, I am a single full time father to a 3 year old. I am stressed to the max, working and caring for my child. I am financially strapped, and struggling every minute.
Can CSSD establish child support without determining paternity?
What can I expect to happen next?

ecmst12

Sounds like you failed to respond to the paternity action and were found to be the father by default. Which means if it's even possible to contest it now, you will need a lawyer in California. Yesterday.

mestressed

Thanks for your input.
No- I was never served for any action, and I'm not aware of any action. The only communication I've ever recvd was a mailed (not registered mail) request from CSSD for financial info to create child support, and then a mailed notice from same that income info has been requested from my employer.

mistoffolees

Thanks for your input.
No- I was never served for any action, and I'm not aware of any action. The only communication I've ever recvd was a mailed (not registered mail) request from CSSD for financial info to create child support, and then a mailed notice from same that income info has been requested from my employer.
That's one of the few ways that you might get out of paternity. If you were declared the father by default for not showing up, it would probably not be reversible UNLESS you can find that you were never properly served (i.e., ex or the state can not prove that you were properly served).

mestressed

Thank you.
Can CSSD request info from employer without establishing paternity or court order? So that they can use financial info to set support amount?

Apparently she eventually ended up in LA, where she sought welfare- triggering CSSD to come after me.
Does it matter that we have no history there? How can I defend myself from out of state?

Proserpina

Thank you.
Can CSSD request info from employer without establishing paternity or court order? So that they can use financial info to set support amount?

Apparently she eventually ended up in LA, where she sought welfare- triggering CSSD to come after me.
Does it matter that we have no history there? How can I defend myself from out of state?

Seriously, you need an attorney to help you with this mess.

It IS possible that you were correctly served (by publication, for example) even if you weren't aware. That would mean you are legally the father.

If you stand any chance at overturning this, you NEED an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">