• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Agreement Question-Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mommyof2Boys

Hello,

My ex husband, per our divorce decree (didn't go through domestics, only our attorneys) agreed to pay $850/month for our two sons, who were 1 and 4 at the time I left. (They are now almost 6 and 9 and I KNOW expenses have increased for them!! I should have gotten more in the first place!) So, he got laid off in April 2010. Per a notarized document, I agreed to allow him to modify the support to $500/month for three months while he searched for employment and it would resume to the regular amount after three months, or if he found employment before that time was up. So, for a year and a half, he continued to pay me ONLY the $500/month. He also carried them on his insurance, so when he lost his job, guess who had to come up with coverage for them?! I'm a contractor that does Medical Transcription so I am not offered benefits through my company. I was able to get them CHIP but until that whole process went through I was paying all doctor visits out of pocket and he paid NOTHING. So, I kept telling him, after that three month period per the agreement, the amount needs to resume at the $850/month. He insisted for a year and a half, "I can't find a job", "I can't afford to pay that amount" "I don't have enough money" "I don't have a pot to pi$$ in". Well, I did some detective work on his Twitter/Facebook accounts and found he took three vacations, bought Flyers season tickets, went to Atlantic City to gamble on multiple occasions (staying in suites with his flavor of the week), etc. Is there a way, I can recieve that $350/month he didn't pay me for that year and a half, claiming he couldn't afford it? And isn't it true, that even with an agreement to modify the support for three months until he found employment, that he still owes me that money he couldn't pay when he DOES have it? It's still owed to me no matter what, correct?? THANKS!!! :confused:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hello,

My ex husband, per our divorce decree (didn't go through domestics, only our attorneys) agreed to pay $850/month for our two sons, who were 1 and 4 at the time I left. (They are now almost 6 and 9 and I KNOW expenses have increased for them!! I should have gotten more in the first place!) So, he got laid off in April 2010. Per a notarized document, I agreed to allow him to modify the support to $500/month for three months while he searched for employment and it would resume to the regular amount after three months, or if he found employment before that time was up. So, for a year and a half, he continued to pay me ONLY the $500/month. He also carried them on his insurance, so when he lost his job, guess who had to come up with coverage for them?! I'm a contractor that does Medical Transcription so I am not offered benefits through my company. I was able to get them CHIP but until that whole process went through I was paying all doctor visits out of pocket and he paid NOTHING. So, I kept telling him, after that three month period per the agreement, the amount needs to resume at the $850/month. He insisted for a year and a half, "I can't find a job", "I can't afford to pay that amount" "I don't have enough money" "I don't have a pot to pi$$ in". Well, I did some detective work on his Twitter/Facebook accounts and found he took three vacations, bought Flyers season tickets, went to Atlantic City to gamble on multiple occasions (staying in suites with his flavor of the week), etc. Is there a way, I can recieve that $350/month he didn't pay me for that year and a half, claiming he couldn't afford it? And isn't it true, that even with an agreement to modify the support for three months until he found employment, that he still owes me that money he couldn't pay when he DOES have it? It's still owed to me no matter what, correct?? THANKS!!! :confused:
File through the state's CSEA to collect CS, but don't lie about what you've been paid. :cool:

TinkerBelleLuvr

Hello,

What does your court order say about child support?

Mommyof2Boys

It says, and I quote, "Husband agrees to pay child support in the amount of $850.00 per month for the support of two children. Said amount shall be modifiable based on a substantial change in circumstances pursuant to the Pennsylvania Support Guidelines. If husband misses two payments, Wife is entitled to request that said support obligation be paid through PASCDU."

However, we did not modify it through our lawyers, or the court, only he and I per a written agreement that he had notarized on his end. I signed it, as did he. Our lawyers played no role in the modification. However, it clearly states three months..and when I mentioned, after the three month period that it had to resume, he said "no, I don't have it" yet I saw him spending money all over the place, in all shapes and forms. I also know, during that period, he did some work on the side, for his self-owned business of web development, and developed two huge websites and not only did he do so while collecting unemployment but he did not notify unemployment that he was earing money under the table NOR did he inform me that he had income while he claimed he couldn't pay the full support amount.

TinkerBelleLuvr

It says, and I quote, "Husband agrees to pay child support in the amount of $850.00 per month for the support of two children. Said amount shall be modifiable based on a substantial change in circumstances pursuant to the Pennsylvania Support Guidelines. If husband misses two payments, Wife is entitled to request that said support obligation be paid through PASCDU."

However, we did not modify it through our lawyers, or the court, only he and I per a written agreement that he had notarized on his end. I signed it, as did he. Our lawyers played no role in the modification. However, it clearly states three months..and when I mentioned, after the three month period that it had to resume, he said "no, I don't have it" yet I saw him spending money all over the place, in all shapes and forms. I also know, during that period, he did some work on the side, for his self-owned business of web development, and developed two huge websites and not only did he do so while collecting unemployment but he did not notify unemployment that he was earing money under the table NOR did he inform me that he had income while he claimed he couldn't pay the full support amount.
Then, claim what he did pay and have PASCDU handle what wasn't paid. DO give them an accurate payment schedule and do NOT say he didn't pay. You SHOULD let them know that you forgave 3 months of $350.00 because that is the right thing to do.

mistoffolees

Your modification is largely meaningless. Only the court order applies.

Now, an agreement outside of court MIGHT get someone off a contempt charge, but that's about it.

Mommyof2Boys

Okay, meaningless as in what? Meaning, I AM owed the full amount no matter what the agreement says, or meaning, I'm NOT owed that money. I did do the right thing by giving him that three months, but I know for a fact he was not actively looking for employment like he said he was. He wanted the summer off, and didn't want to pay me the full amount, and that's exactly what he did. Meanwhile, while he's salaried now at an over $50,000/year job and getting married in October,( he could afford a ring and a wedding), since August of 2011, my income has decreased by at LEAST 200/week. And that's minimum. The support order has never changed since the boys were 1 and 4 and they are now 6 and 9 and in sports, school events, etc, that he helps with NONE of. He thinks that $850/month is TOO much for two boys and he wants it lowered and is telling me, that even though he has the option to put the boys on his insurance, as our divorce decree states he is responsible to do, he can't afford that either. UGH!!!! If the divorce decree states he is responsible, he's responsible..no?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Then let Child Support Enforcement take over the enforcing of the court order. Be honest and let them know what he has paid. Be honest and let him have credit for the 3 months you agreed for him to pay $350 less. Let THEM do the enforcing.

You have a court order for $850 per month. Until that changes, that is what stands.

mistoffolees

Okay, meaningless as in what? Meaning, I AM owed the full amount no matter what the agreement says, or meaning, I'm NOT owed that money. I did do the right thing by giving him that three months, but I know for a fact he was not actively looking for employment like he said he was. He wanted the summer off, and didn't want to pay me the full amount, and that's exactly what he did. Meanwhile, while he's salaried now at an over $50,000/year job and getting married in October,( he could afford a ring and a wedding), since August of 2011, my income has decreased by at LEAST 200/week. And that's minimum. The support order has never changed since the boys were 1 and 4 and they are now 6 and 9 and in sports, school events, etc, that he helps with NONE of. He thinks that $850/month is TOO much for two boys and he wants it lowered and is telling me, that even though he has the option to put the boys on his insurance, as our divorce decree states he is responsible to do, he can't afford that either. UGH!!!! If the divorce decree states he is responsible, he's responsible..no?
Meaningless in that you are owed what the court order says you are owed. Any side agreement you worked out with the other parent is not binding or enforceable. None of the rest of your diatribe matters.

Mommyof2Boys

Great! I was just worried that since I agreed to the amount that I was stuck. So, in otherwords, I have a chance of having support increased (at the four year review, as it has never been changed since I left) as well as collecting the unpaid amounts from that time he was unempolyed? If so, that would be a HUGE help financially. Another question, if he says he can't afford the insurance for the boys, will they take that off the amount of support he owes me, or will he have to find a way to do both?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Generally, if insurance is available thru the employer and it doesn't cost more than 5% of their income, they will be ordered to carry it. The state doesn't want to be responsible for it.

Mommyof2Boys

But if he claims he cannot afford the cost of their insurance, he would have to prove it correct? Will they lower his support payments in order for him to afford the insurance? (Even though I KNOW he has money...)

mistoffolees

Great! I was just worried that since I agreed to the amount that I was stuck. So, in otherwords, I have a chance of having support increased (at the four year review, as it has never been changed since I left) as well as collecting the unpaid amounts from that time he was unempolyed? If so, that would be a HUGE help financially.
Legally, that is correct. However, trying to force him to pay something that you earlier said he didn't have to pay is not particularly nice.

Another question, if he says he can't afford the insurance for the boys, will they take that off the amount of support he owes me, or will he have to find a way to do both?
You will presumably get a new calculation based on the new circumstances. Go to the PA child support calculator and plug in the new numbers. There is a space to plug in health insurance premium paid (be sure to include only the amount you're paying for the child, not total family amount). Essentially, whoever pays health insurance gets a credit in the calculator.

That ignores the possible contempt issue. If the order says that he must provide health insurance, then he must do so until he gets the order changed.

TinkerBelleLuvr

But if he claims he cannot afford the cost of their insurance, he would have to prove it correct? Will they lower his support payments in order for him to afford the insurance? (Even though I KNOW he has money...)
If the court orders it, the court orders it. If all it took was a "I can't afford it", then how many parents would carry it? I did, even when I didnt' get credit, because it was best down the line.

Mommyof2Boys

"Legally, that is correct. However, trying to force him to pay something that you earlier said he didn't have to pay is not particularly nice."

I only agreed to that for three months...beyond that it was SUPPOSED to go back to the $850/month. He decided to stretch it from 3 months to a year and a half. I NEVER agreed to that and when I continued to ask him about it after the three months was expired, he insisted upside down and inside out, while lying on a beach or in a suite in Atlantic City on a gambling trip, that he couldn't afford it.....TAHT I did not agree to!!!! LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">