• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with delicate situation..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

howard103182

:confused:I live in Illinois and I have an ex that I was not married to that fathered a son with me. He then committed a sexual crime against his son and after he was incarcerated he then moved out of state to Nebraska and I was wondering if not only is it wise to obtain child support but does that give him legal rights to his son (which I do not wish him to have considering the crime committed) and how would I go about obtaining Child Support? And any other useful information that I may need.

Thank you if you can help!

Proserpina

:confused:I live in Illinois and I have an ex that I was not married to that fathered a son with me. He then committed a sexual crime against his son and after he was incarcerated he then moved out of state to Nebraska and I was wondering if not only is it wise to obtain child support but does that give him legal rights to his son (which I do not wish him to have considering the crime committed) and how would I go about obtaining Child Support? And any other useful information that I may need.

Thank you if you can help!

Depending on the conviction and nature of the crime, it's possible that you can request NO visitation whatsoever IF Dad turns around files for visitation. Of course you can always ask the court to terminate his parental rights completely but that would mean no child support.

The court may allow him supervised visitation - but that's not a guarantee, given that the visitation would be with the child he abused. However, it HAS happened before.

Go ahead and file for child support anyway. With him being in Nebraska and not making contact thus far, there's at least a decent chance that he won't bother doing anything.

If he does, then you can deal with it.

Proserpina

I think it was a different son that he abused.

Oh!

Then..in that case, OP should likely ignore what I said about visitation. If Dad wants visits with the child he didn't abuse, he'll be allowed visitation and even if it's supervised at first it will generally become the usual visitation schedule.

Mom needs to make a decision here - should she wake the sleeping tiger? Is it worth the risk of Dad deciding that he doesn't want to pay for a child he can't see, thus he wants to see the child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">