• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a state court be sued in the public interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benrst

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

If a particular administrative policy of a state court had the consequence even if unintended of causing some litigants to be denied their day in court, this seems to fall outside the normal channels that are available for filing a complaint, e.g. it is not a complaint against a judge nor is it a complaint against a lawyer. Nor would appealing a particular decision resulting from that policy likely change the policy since an appeal is on the merits of the case not the administrative policy of the court. In theory the OCA or legislature has court oversight, but as a practical matter I doubt they would do anything in response to an individual complaint as opposed to from a legal organization. Is it possible to challenge the state court policy on constitutional grounds as for example court bias? What other grounds are possible? Would this be done in federal court? There is another reason to choose federal court. In order to prove that there is a systematic or systemic problem, it would be necessary to research what was taking place at the court. This would require an expert to examine cases. I believe a court appointed expert is really only available to the federal courts under Rule 706. If such a challenge were taken seriously, what would be the remedy: to annul decisions made under the policy or to award damages for denying or limiting justice? How would one locate any case law or l.j. articles to see if a challenge to a court policy has ever been made in the past, i.e. what keyword search would be the correct one to look for? Lastly, even if all the above were possible, it would take a pro bono group, law school, etc. to take the case. Does anyone know of any public interest, constitutional law group? Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

There are lots of groups in New York and they have a great deal of knowledge of such matters and love to sue.

Yet, they're not.

Nothing will change if you contact them. They know of the issue and either think there is nothing they can do, or it is simply the best way to give the most court time to worthy litigants.

(My bet is the OP lost his case as a pro per. Any takers?)

You Are Guilty

Sometimes, I get the impression I am talking (typing?) to a wall.

(But I would wager that a Federal lawsuit to get rid of the DCM system will result in nothing more than some Rule 11 sanctions.)

ecmst12

Trolls usually respond more so their threads end up getting to 4-5 pages. This guy is probably just misguided and overly idealistic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">