• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a job!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kearns0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Good afternoon.
I have a situation that I hope somebody can help me with.
My DL. has been suspended for back child support. Haven't been able to work for that reason. now I have a letter of intent to hire from an employer but the only thing lacking is my DL. is suspended. The only way I'll be able to pay child support is with this job.
My question is, do you think with this letter and a nice chunk of money, Florida would reinstate my DL. so that I can get back to helping my daughter out?

Proserpina

Good afternoon.
My DL. has been suspended for back child support. Haven't been able to work for that reason. now I have a letter of intent to hire from an employer but the only thing lacking is my DL. is suspended. The only way I'll be able to pay child support is with this job.
My question is, do you think with this letter and a nice chunk of money, Florida would reinstate my DL. so that I can get back to helping my daughter out?

Pay off what you owe, and go through the FL DMV's procedures (they should be listed on the DMV's website).

That's the only way you're getting your license back.

mistoffolees

Good afternoon.
Contact your local child support enforcement office. They clearly have a desire to see people who pay child support working. The amount of flexibility will probably depend on the circumstances. If someone is a chronic deadbeat, they might be less flexible than someone who fell behind once because of loss of a job.

In addition, courts will sometimes make an exception in cases like yours and allow the DL to be reinstated.

The bigger problem is timing. I doubt if your employer will keep the offer open indefinitely, so you'll need to move quickly. Like today. Meanwhile, do you need a driver's license for the job? if not, is there some way for you to get to work (bus, bike, carpooling) until you get your license back?

Proserpina

I do apologize - my post was based upon how things are done in my state - in other words, WA is generally completely inflexible when it comes to licenses being revoked for child support arrears, however counterintuitive that might seem (and it is counterintuitive). If FL is more flexible - more power to OP!

Just Blue

Good afternoon.
If you are not working, and as such have not been able to pay support....Where are you getting the "nice chunk of money"? :confused:

Proserpina

If you are not working, and as such have not been able to pay support....Where are you getting the "nice chunk of money"? :confused:

Interesting question....and one to which I hope the answer is not going to be "Well, I'm not going to pay it if I can't get my license". Kwim?

:cool:

CSO286

Many states (including the one I work in) have the policy of "Pay you past due support in full or never see your license again", while still maintaining the practice of "Valid and verified job offer + good faith payment = we'll work out a payment plan and reinstate".

For the most part, CSED wants to help you get your support current and stay that way. We're not all evil.

Call them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">