• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I file for CS mod?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justaguy1

New Jersey - My ex filed for CS enforcement - which was granted. An order was issued in Nov of 11 that says I am ordered to pay $xx a week (same amount as before). My question is, can I now file for a child support modification or do I need a change of circumstance from Nov? The original order was 10 years old and the amount was not changed.

Last edited:

Proserpina

New Jersey - My ex filed for CS enforcement - which was granted. An order was issued in Nov of 11 that says I am ordered to pay $xx a week (same amount as before). My question is, can I now file for a child support modification or do I need a change of circumstance from Nov? The original order was 10 years old and the amount was not changed.

The new order is from Nov of last year?

Yes, you need a change of circumstance.

(Why are you wanting to modify? Do you want to pay more?)

justaguy1

the original order was based on a verbal agreement, not guidelines, and I have not made that much money in quite some time. I realize it would be difficult to get the amount lowered, but worth a shot. I had thought I could argue these points at the hearing, and did not realize the judge would only hear my ex's arguments for enforcement since she filed.

Proserpina

the original order was based on a verbal agreement, not guidelines, and I have not made that much money in quite some time. I realize it would be difficult to get the amount lowered, but worth a shot. I had thought I could argue these points at the hearing, and did not realize the judge would only hear my ex's arguments for enforcement since she filed.

Well, you're outside of the appeal timeline and nothing has changed since the order was made.

How far outside of guideline support is the order? Are we talking triple? 5%?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">