• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Providing Test Answers Copyright?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmltml

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I think this would be USA law, but since its a website, I think it is not just USA.

I have a website that provides the answers to a popular test that is used in high schools in the USA mainly. The site has no content at all from the originating workbooks etc, just a list of the answers.

I noticed there are several other competing sites doing the exact same thing.

Anyways today via my hosting provider, I recieved a DMCA notice stating the material is copyright.

I am wondering if and how that is possible. All the site does is provide answers.

There has to be 100s of sites out there providing answers to quizes or tests etc that are CW.

So should I just take the site down and move on?

Its frustrating because I did spend time creating the site, and I still see competing sites all still operating...

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

quincy

Drat. I put E instead of D. :(

tmltml, this same "answer website" topic was recently discussed in another thread. You may wish to review it. Click on https://forum.freeadvice.com/computers-software-internet-law-10/thinking-starting-website-answers-cyberschool-questions-legal-572329.html.

Probably some of the answer sites you have seen online have received copyright infringement notices. Some of these sites have had the material they provided on their sites removed through DMCA takedown notices. A couple of the "answer website" owners are currently being sued.

You generally cannot use copyrighted works or profit off the copyrighted works of others, without permission from the copyright holder. Copyright owners hold, among other rights, the exclusive right to reproduce their works, create derivatives of their works and display and distribute their works.

Again, I suggest you review the link provided above and, if you are served with a summons and complaint notifying you that you are being sued, I recommend that you consult with an attorney in your area who is well-versed in copyright laws.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">