• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misleading Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarahk

*Boston, Massachusetts

a friend of mine was in a serious accident last summer and received worker's comp payments. he is from ireland and was not meant to be working here in the first place. when he went back to work a few months ago, he called his worker's comp lawyer and told him to contact the insurance company to let them know. the lawyer told him to simply keep cashing the bi-monthly checks until the insurance company just stopped sending them. he did not inform the insurance company of the fact that my friend was working. now, several months later, the insurance people have figured out that my friend has been working (they were watching him, I suppose) and are threatening to charge him with insurance fraud, which carries a penalty of six months to 5 years in a state penetentiary in massachusetts. what are his options? if the lawyer simply does not pursue the case any further, what is the likelihood of them dropping this? does he need to hire another lawyer to get him out of this mess?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">