• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to kill myself!!!!1111

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantrl78

GA(only U.S. law)?

I created a character for a lady for $200. She is about to sell it to a large corporation for $1million. I wrote this in her email.

"Hey there @#$#$!, #$#$ is an awesome name. I would love to do that
logo. I have a flat fee of $225 for corporate branding. It buys you
multiple revisions and you own him when we are done. Basically I will
work on him until you are happy."

Please somebody help. :-(
I know that I am an idiot. But am I SOL? BTW I made $7000 last year selling logos and mascots that I created. So I can't afford a lawyer.

grantrl78

for real! that beyotch is happy as hell. I want to die. I didn't realize that I was basically selling her every character on my site that looks like the one I did for her for only $200. Hers is a version of a character that I designed 4 years ago. I thought I was just selling her that one image - not the freaking idea of that complete line of characters too. luckily a dude who works for said company is about to offer me a jerb. btw if she said she would "take care of me " if it his big, is there any legal weight to that statement?

Last edited:

grantrl78

hey guys here is another question. The logo that I did for her is using what looks like a previously copyrighted name - would I be able to use that to get out of the email "contract" that I posted?

justalayman

a name is not a copyrightable work. It may be able to become a trademark but names are not able to be copyrighted.

btw if she said she would "take care of me " if it his big, is there any legal weight to that statement?
let's see:

Bugsy, take care of him means killing him

If a woman offered to "take care of me" I would expect to owe her $100 for the services.

I often "take care of" my grandchild while my daughter works.

which of those "taking care of" you would you be looking for?

I would wonder about this "every character on your site" rather than the one you did for her for $200. Why would she have use of every character on your site?

grantrl78

a hummer would be nice. would you be able to take care of that for me sweetheart? I said that I would do a logo for her and she takes the image and sells it to a company as a cartoon.

Let me get this straight, you are saying if you name a character mickey mouse and you copyright it with a different mouse image that crap isn't illegal? Riiiight. BTW the image that I sold her is almost exactly the same as the copyrighted character I mentioned. I even asked her about it before she sold my image.

"I would wonder about this "every character on your site" rather than the one you did for her for $200. Why would she have use of every character on your site?"

because they look almost exactly the same. Imagine mario with a different colored suit and a different mustache and eyes and you see what I am saying.

Last edited:

justalayman

Mickey Mouse is a registered trademark.

the image is also trademarked as well as each work is also covered under copyright protections.

If you go to the corner of Main and 3rd and hang "your business" out, I'll be sure to have somebody come by and take care of you.

grantrl78

Yeah and the character that I mentioned is trademarked too.
You know I got you on that hummer thing btw. :)

Last edited:

grantrl78

Imagine that the character we are talking about is a mouse. Imagine also that she calls my character mickey mouse and you see what I am saying. Not the same mouse - but I bet she has still broken some law. And I would like to be able to use this boneheaded oversight by her to get my art back.

Last edited:

justalayman

I doubt it would get your artwork back. As long as YOU did not break any laws by making the works you did, I see no reason your contract with her wouldn't be valid.

It may get her in legal hot water with the owner of the trademark though. You can drop a dime on her and notify the owner of whatever you believe may be infringed upon. It likely wouldn't get you anything other than maybe some satisfaction.

grantrl78

rats. she also published a book with my character with copyrighted crap pasted all over them - imagine superman logos and such. might this be of any use?

justalayman

not to help you but if she is putting TM'd art on yours so it appears you might have been the person infringing, I would keep a record of what you sold her. Again, a word to the owner might be something you would want to do and in this case, not just to stop her from profiting from what you see as an unfair contract but to protect yourself from becoming involved in a trademark infringement action.

grantrl78

I also find it hard to believe "we will take care of you" is any less vague in the context of our conversation than "you own him when we are done". How do I know we are not just talking about the logo that I designed that doesn't even include the full character? She asked for a logo. Not a cartoon character. I know I am reaching.

grantrl78

not to help you but if she is putting TM'd art on yours so it appears you might have been the person infringing, I would keep a record of what you sold her. Again, a word to the owner might be something you would want to do and in this case, not just to stop her from profiting from what you see as an unfair contract but to protect yourself from becoming involved in a trademark infringement action.
thanks for the help bro. This is the info I was hoping to get before you started talking about hookers. BTW only a lawyer would think paying $200 for a million dollar critter is a fair contract. You evil rich wankers and your words. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">