• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurances required to transport pharmaceuticals to customers.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ryan.Frechette

I was wondering what insurances, permits, licenses, or certifications were required to start a courier service transporting pharmaceuticals to the customer. I am interested in starting an LLC that works directly with the customer's insurance company to provide a safer means for some people to get their medication. I have seen many older people in my life drive in very bad weather situations when I felt it was all too often unsafe for them to be on the road. Thank you for reading this, I do feel strongly about this idea and I look forward to all responses.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Insurance companies run their own mail order pharmacy services. They have no need to work with a 3rd party company with all the associated liability and HIPAA concerns.

FlyingRon

To provide pharmaceuticals you'll need to be a licensed pharmacy (or at least to be working for one). The "insurer" can't give you dispensation to do that.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Insurance companies run their own mail order pharmacy services. They have no need to work with a 3rd party company with all the associated liability and HIPAA concerns.
And some pharmacies STILL deliver, using their own employees and vehicles. :cool:

Ryan.Frechette

Companies such as "Crosstown Courier"

That brings me to my next question then. I have been studying the market trying to educate myself on the best way to get into this businesses. I have found a few business now that already provide a third party service doing exactly as I described above. I would like to share some direct quotes from their website about their services that they provide.

Inter-Office Deliveries
.: Medical Specimens to Labs
.: Pharmaceutical /Infusion
.: Multiple Pick-ups at the Same Location
.: Bank Deposits
.: Payroll Delivery Services
.: Postal Services

I could post more from other companies but it would become an eye sore. I am now wondering after what I have been told, how does this gentlemen find a comfortable living doing such as what I just explained above, all the while not suffering from a few of the things pointed out to me.

I understand his company handles other services, I am interested in the laws and policies on the medical aspect of the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I was wondering what insurances, permits, licenses, or certifications were required to start a courier service transporting pharmaceuticals to the customer. I am interested in starting an LLC that works directly with the customer's insurance company to provide a safer means for some people to get their medication. I have seen many older people in my life drive in very bad weather situations when I felt it was all too often unsafe for them to be on the road. Thank you for reading this, I do feel strongly about this idea and I look forward to all responses.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
So, start a taxi service. :cool:

ecmst12

A courier wouldn't be paid by the insurance company or have anything to do with them. A courier would be paid by the client. And the insurance you'd need to carry will be more expensive than you would think. What happens the first time a customer says he never got a medication you delivered? Or he got it but the count was short? Plus you'd need business auto insurance, you'd need to background check all your employees and sign HIPAA agreements with any pharmacies that would be willing to work with you, since you'd have access to PHI.

If you are serious about starting this business, and you have the capital to start it, I would suggest you meet with an insurance agent and a business attorney to go over the various costs and pitfalls you will have to address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">