• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorporate or not before small test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sudhir

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Hello,

My friend and I have been thinking about a web concept. We don't if the concept is good or bad yet. To test it, we would like to create a simple (static) web page where we will explain our concept and if people like they can give us their email. In future when service is ready (3-6 months down the line) we can inform the users about the launch. We have not intention of using the email for any other purpose.

Question: Should we create this web page without incorporating? Is it OK do that? Also how do we tell visitors that the only use of their email is to contact when the site is functional. Can we have a small privacy policy without incorporating?

Thanks
Sudhir

FlyingRon

What makes you think you need a corporation even if you launch the full blown business? Like children, corporations can be relatively easy to create, require maintenance during their life, and harder to get rid of.

If you don't actually take any money, I doubt there's any requirement on you at all. If you are construed as doing business (accepting money), then if you're not operating under a legal name (corporate or your personal name), then you may need to register the fictitious name (also known as a d/b/a).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">