• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use copyrighted material for educational purposes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aaron4

I made a video using copyrighted material. The video is for a presentation that I need to do for a class in school. Am I protected by the Fair Use policy? Should I dispute this?

By the way, I uploaded it to youtube as a private video so I could use it at school, so that it the problem. YouTube blocks audio of copyrighted material.

Why not use a different service? Because for the presentation (group presentation) we are using Google Docs for collaboration, and it only allows me to use YouTube to embed the video. Thanks!

quincy

Fair use will not get YouTube to unblock audio from copyrighted material if their policy is to block the audio from copyrighted material (I wasn't aware they did this).

And, as a note, fair use is a defense used in court to a copyright infringement action. It is not really permission to use copyrighted material - although many educational uses of copyrighted material will fall within the scope of the Copyright Act's fair use guidelines. For this reason, educators and researchers and students can often use copyrighted material without fear of infringing on a copyright holder's rights.

How much copyrighted material did you use in your video? When do you need to do this presentation for school? Have you discussed the problem you are having with your video's sound with your teacher?

And what U.S. state are you posting from?

aaron4

I used about a 2 minute audio clip from Transformers movie. We will be presenting this Friday, and I have not discussed this with my teacher.

asiny

I used about a 2 minute audio clip from Transformers movie. We will be presenting this Friday, and I have not discussed this with my teacher.
Discuss it with your teacher for an alternative. Interesting question, unless the project requires the use of it- why do you need to use copyrighted material?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">