• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes criminal copyright infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandbar12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

I designed and sold a product online for a very small profit (less than $500). A company contacted me and told me to stop b/c the artwork was copyrighted. Unwilling to face a suit, I took it down. Now the company's law firm is asking for the revenue I've earned from the sale to settle the matter. I think that's fair (without going into too much detail here). But they want me to sign a document admitting I infringed a copyright. Does that make me vulnerable to federal prosecution even if the document states the owner releases me of liability?

Can I trust that this document will settle it once and for all? A lawyer I've contacted said he'd never let a client sign that document the way it's worded and called it "inappropriate" to ask someone to do so. But since I'm not (yet) his client he can't tell me flat out not to sign it. I could pay for his services to contact them on my behalf, but his time is worth more per hour than the amount they're asking me to settle for.

swalsh411

It's never a good idea to admit to breaking the law. If you are willing, tell them you will pay to settle the matter and will not do it again but will not admit to anything.

Sandbar12

It's never a good idea to admit to breaking the law. If you are willing, tell them you will pay to settle the matter and will not do it again but will not admit to anything.
Thanks. I've talked with a copyright lawyer who may be able to help me get them to amend the document. I'm admittedly too intimidated to go it alone. Will cost me money, but better than fearing the worst.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">