• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photgraphs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punchy187

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I took nude photographs of a girl who at the time was a friend of mine with her consent to use them on a website I am creating. The next day her girlfriend text me a threatening message about taking advantage of her or something like that and she said not to put the picture on the internet or else. I have not been told for the girl in the picture herself not to use them. I sent a legal document to her email address giving me the rights to do whatever I want with the pictures but of course she hasn't signed and sent it back to me and probably won't. Since I had a verbal agreement to use them on a website and I am the photographer can I use them without a written agreement? After all since I am the photographer doesn't that make me 50% of the owner of the images in the first place? Thanks.

quincy

As photographer, you own the copyrights in the photographic images. Your nude model, however, owns the publicity/privacy rights in her own image. Without a signed written release from the model, you cannot publish the photographs.

You should also have, if she is a young model, or a young-looking model, documents proving her age (ie, a driver's license, birth certificate, passport).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">