• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music/Music Video Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teachme998

Hi!

I hope you all could provide me with some clarity in a situation I may have to deal with. I am a vocal recording artist. I go to a studio to record my music (that i wrote) and pay full price to have it recorded. The producer provides the Instrumentals (beats). Conflict then occurs. The studio and I part ways on not the best of terms.

Before this song is released to the public, a videographer that was refered to me is now interested in shooting a music video for this song. The producer then claims that he owns the rights to the song and will not allow the production and release of the music video until he provides written consent. No contracts or agreements were signed or agreed to at any point.

A few questions:
Do I own some or all of the rights to this song?

If I own some of the rights, am I allowed to create this music video without his consent?

Can I sell the song? If so, does the producer get royalties?

If I can provide any additional information to clear things up, feel free to ask.
Thank you all in advance and I can't wait to hear what you guys think.

The Occultist

You each own equal, but independent, rights to the song. Each of you, independent from the other, has the right to distribute the song and do everything else that comes with owning a copyright. Should either of you make money off of the work, however, all profits must be shared with the other.

Teachme998

You each own equal, but independent, rights to the song. Each of you, independent from the other, has the right to distribute the song and do everything else that comes with owning a copyright. Should either of you make money off of the work, however, all profits must be shared with the other.
Thank you for your reply. So is it set up in the way that I would own the vocals and lyrics and he own the instrumentals? If so, could I take the vocal part of it and have another producer build a different instrumental around it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">