• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legionella exposure from an apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnysammy

Back in August I signed into a lease with an apartment building in Florida. Over the next four months I began to develop symptoms such as extreme weight loss, abdomen pain, headaches, and just general feelings of being tired and ill. I went to an E.R over my abdomen pain last December after living at the apartment complex for five months. I was in fear that I might have something wrong with my appendix. They assured me my appendix was okay and that my problems were probably related to a U.T.I that I had apparently developed. I saw my primary later that week and the test showed no U.T.I.

By January my doctor was extremely concerned about my weight loss. I had gone from 130 pounds down to 107. I was shocked at my own image in the mirror. I still felt hungry but was nauseated whenever I tried to eat. My primary admitted me to a hospital. They checked everything under the sun and decided I might have a peptic ulcer, since everything major had been cleared. My doctor put me on medication and sent me back to my apartment.

A few weeks later I was still feeling ill and had developed a strong cough with a lot of mucus coming up. I felt out of breath and had developed a wheeze, as well as really bad tremors that I could not control. At a check up appointment my doctor was surprised by my wheeze. She said it sounded like I had some how developed asthma. She put me on two inhalers and asked me a ton of questions. One being, "Could their be any standing water in your apartment or bad piping?" I was honest. "Possibly. It's a crappy apartment complex...and I drink the water right out of the sink quite often." She decided to test me for legionella.

My results came back with very high exposed rates. Unexposed being a reading of around 65. I had double that count. After being sick for 6 months I was angry over the results. A place I was paying to live in had given me a disease. My wheezing has not stopped and even though I'm a smoker with a low immune system I was wondering if there was any legal action I could take over this situation. My boyfriend that lived with me also had a deep cough with mucus and was taken to the E.R during the six months we lived there for difficulty breathing. I broke the lease and I'm being charged $1900 for the four months I'm not living there. I'm confused and frustrated over this ordeal. I also worry about babies, smokers, cancer patients, and other people with low immune systems that might be living in the apartment complex that I was. I told the apartment complex and they said they would have someone check into it, but never got back to me. I was shocked that I never heard anything else about the legionella results for the water samples they said they would take. Is there anything I can do about all of this? Thanks so much for the help!

Antigone*

Back in August I signed into a lease with an apartment building in Florida. Over the next four months I began to develop symptoms such as extreme weight loss, abdomen pain, headaches, and just general feelings of being tired and ill. I went to an E.R over my abdomen pain last December after living at the apartment complex for five months. I was in fear that I might have something wrong with my appendix. They assured me my appendix was okay and that my problems were probably related to a U.T.I that I had apparently developed. I saw my primary later that week and the test showed no U.T.I.

By January my doctor was extremely concerned about my weight loss. I had gone from 130 pounds down to 107. I was shocked at my own image in the mirror. I still felt hungry but was nauseated whenever I tried to eat. My primary admitted me to a hospital. They checked everything under the sun and decided I might have a peptic ulcer, since everything major had been cleared. My doctor put me on medication and sent me back to my apartment.

A few weeks later I was still feeling ill and had developed a strong cough with a lot of mucus coming up. I felt out of breath and had developed a wheeze, as well as really bad tremors that I could not control. At a check up appointment my doctor was surprised by my wheeze. She said it sounded like I had some how developed asthma. She put me on two inhalers and asked me a ton of questions. One being, "Could their be any standing water in your apartment or bad piping?" I was honest. "Possibly. It's a crappy apartment complex...and I drink the water right out of the sink quite often." She decided to test me for legionella.

My results came back with very high exposed rates. Unexposed being a reading of around 65. I had double that count. After being sick for 6 months I was angry over the results. A place I was paying to live in had given me a disease. My wheezing has not stopped and even though I'm a smoker with a low immune system I was wondering if there was any legal action I could take over this situation. My boyfriend that lived with me also had a deep cough with mucus and was taken to the E.R during the six months we lived there for difficulty breathing. I broke the lease and I'm being charged $1900 for the four months I'm not living there. I'm confused and frustrated over this ordeal. I also worry about babies, smokers, cancer patients, and other people with low immune systems that might be living in the apartment complex that I was. I told the apartment complex and they said they would have someone check into it, but never got back to me. I was shocked that I never heard anything else about the legionella results for the water samples they said they would take. Is there anything I can do about all of this? Thanks so much for the help!

You are a smoker who developed a wheeze and then broke her lease and now wants to sue:confused:.

Let me ask you, what steps did you take prior to breaking your lease? What type of documentation do you have that your apartment complex is responsible for your illness?

sunnysammy

You are a smoker who developed a wheeze and then broke her lease and now wants to sue:confused:.

Let me ask you, what steps did you take prior to breaking your lease? What type of documentation do you have that your apartment complex is responsible for your illness?
Whoa, I just need advice not to be criticized. I do have documentation that the legionella is from the apartment most likely. My number count was with in the range of RECENT exposure and the apartment was the only place I was living and drinking the water from. I have documentation of my blood results and positive testing for the bacteria. You are right that it is not common for people who smoke to develop these problems. But I have only been smoking for two years, and I'm 19 years old, a little young to develop problems from smoking but it is possible. You all may be very right - I may owe the money for breaking the lease. I just wanted some opinions for someone other than those in my own family. I was put through many hospital visits and E.R trips and just need some advice.

I'll take what I can get even if it might not be what I wanted to hear. I need to hear the truth, even if it is "You're whiny and can't sue over this." I'm young, I don't know much about law, and I only know what I went through. Thanks for any help you can give me. =)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whoa, I just need advice not to be criticized. I do have documentation that the legionella is from the apartment most likely.
So, you notified the apartment complex of the problem and gave them an opportunity to remedy it, right? (It's a bit of a rhetorical question.)

Antigone*

Whoa, I just need advice not to be criticized. I do have documentation that the legionella is from the apartment most likely. My number count was with in the range of RECENT exposure and the apartment was the only place I was living and drinking the water from. I have documentation of my blood results and positive testing for the bacteria. You are right that it is not common for people who smoke to develop these problems. But I have only been smoking for two years, and I'm 19 years old, a little young to develop problems from smoking but it is possible. You all may be very right - I may owe the money for breaking the lease. I just wanted some opinions for someone other than those in my own family. I was put through many hospital visits and E.R trips and just need some advice.

I'll take what I can get even if it might not be what I wanted to hear. I need to hear the truth, even if it is "You're whiny and can't sue over this." I'm young, I don't know much about law, and I only know what I went through. Thanks for any help you can give me. =)
You have proof that you are ill. You don't have proof that the source of the illness is the apartment.

You broke your lease, and you from what you have posted, you did not follow the proper legal procedures to break your lease, so yes a suit is in your future. However, you will be sitting at the defendent's side of the room.

You have no legal basis for a law suit.

ecmst12

You did not notify the complex of your suspicions and you did not have any testing done on the water in the apartment - therefore you have zero evidence of any connection between your illness and the apartment. And you can't even GET evidence now, since you don't live there anymore. And you can't show that the landlord knew of a problem (even if a problem existed) and failed to remedy it within a reasonable time. You have no case to sue anyone. But you should quit smoking!

sunnysammy

Legionella is not transmitted by drinking water containing the particular bacteria but rather by breathing a mist of water containing this. The bacteria causes an infection when entering the lungs, not the GI tract:

Patient Facts | CDC Legionella

Gail
YES, OBVIOUSLY. I was showering in that apartment too. I should of known that everyone here is only here to make judgement on others. They know nothing about law or have any empathy for anyone. I WENT TO A DOCTOR! I had tests done, I presented them to the apartment AT THE TIME THAT I BROKE THE LEASE. Instead of assuming I wish people here would ask. You are no experts or even people with common sense. I'll call a lawyer. Last time I ever ask a law question online.

Antigone*

YES, OBVIOUSLY. I was showering in that apartment too. I should of known that everyone here is only here to make judgement on others. They know nothing about law or have any empathy for anyone. I WENT TO A DOCTOR! I had tests done, I presented them to the apartment AT THE TIME THAT I BROKE THE LEASE. Instead of assuming I wish people here would ask. You are no experts or even people with common sense. I'll call a lawyer. Last time I ever ask a law question online.
Off you go then:cool:

Gail in Georgia

Your medical tests show you were exposed to the Legionella bacteria.

They show nothing about where the source of this bacteria came from.

You assumed there must be something present in your apartment that caused the infection and, without proof of such, went on to break your lease.

It is ironic that you assume those who posted here have no common sense.

Gail

LdiJ

Your medical tests show you were exposed to the Legionella bacteria.

They show nothing about where the source of this bacteria came from.

You assumed there must be something present in your apartment that caused the infection and, without proof of such, went on to break your lease.

It is ironic that you assume those who posted here have no common sense.

Gail
While I agree with this, its also a very serious matter and people can die from that kind of exposure. If it is the apartment complex the other tenants are at risk if nothing comes to light regarding this problem.

tranquility

I agree with LdiJ. Most such lawsuits are class actions because the vector affects many. There are ways to trace the specific bacteria involved and there can be links between the infectious source and the person stricken.

Since it is a reportable disease, the Health Department is aware of the findings. If there is a link and if others suffer the same fate, the general welfare is probably not in too much danger. As to the lawsuit, there are plenty of attorneys who advertise on this particular specialty, so there must be some winners out there. However, the OPs damages are a long way from a prosecutable lawsuit or even having enough facts to find where the damages do lie.

Breaking the lease on a suspicion, without more, is not going to be excused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">