• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Graphics and duplicating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jboots

Let's say I am searching the internet for graphics or images to use on a poster or in a bulletin. I find a graphic that I like on a web-site that has the graphic for sale. I know how to use photoshop and I can re-create the graphic without having to pay for it. If I re-create the graphic but alter it by making some changes of my own and then use it on a poster or bulletin is that copyright infringement?

FlyingRon

There's no amount of tweaking it to make it your own that will make it your own. If you want to start with the same idea and create your own work you can most likely do it as far as copyright is concerned. If the symbol is a trademark you might not even be able to do that. If there is confusing similarity even on an original work, you may be guilty of infringement.

tranquility

While a lot of facts would need to be known, the reality of current law is that ecmst12 is probably correct. Fair use and other defenses to copyright violations need a court or an on-point case to give an idea as to if the specific copy is a violation. Google sampling and copyright for how bits of sound used in another song have been found to be a violation in some cases. The discussion on some of the results can be applied to your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">