• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Infringement/Fair Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raychronic

I did a Google Image Search for an image to use as a "banner image" for a particular blog post. It was basically a redirection to another already-posted article that I was linking to with my post. More than two years later I receive an email from the guy who took the picture, claiming I infringed his copyright, and that I owe him money. I immediately took his picture off my blog, and deleted the entire post. My blog is merely of an entertainment/news-reporting nature, and I make no money from it. I have not replied to his emails. Does he have a legal case against me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

Not only did you make a copy, you used it. Yes, by strict reading of the law you are in violation.

In this instance, even on a more reasonable reading of the law, you don't really have a case. You took another's image and used it as though it was your own in interactions with others. That is always going to be a violation. It is not going to be an inadvertent violation either. (Well, if you just linked to the banner and it came through rather than copied and uploaded it, it *might* be inadvertent. That could change the level of damages you would owe.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">