• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Picture Copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

relentless1

Hello, Are exterior building pictures on apartment home websites protected under copyright? I want to publish 1 or 2 of these pictures per complex on a website. I have seen many sites with the same pictures but have no idea how or why they are allowed to do so. Any help would be great.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Generally, all photos are protected by copyright. There is nothing stopping you from taking potos of a building with your own camera and publishing them. You cannot, without permission, publish or post someone else's photos.

relentless1

Hello

I am trying to avoid that but will do if I have to. I am not looking for a general answer, I am looking at a specific answer because I have seen many sites with the same pictures.

justalayman

I am trying to avoid that but will do if I have to. I am not looking for a general answer, I am looking at a specific answer because I have seen many sites with the same pictures.

You got a specific answer but if you didn't understand it:

if you took the pictures, you can use them as you wish.

If you did not take the pictures, somebody else owns the copyrights to them and unless you have permission to use them, you are infringing on their copyrights. If you infringe on their copyrights, the owners have a right to sue you for your actions.

justalayman

Dear Rich: Nolo's Intellectual Property Blog: Who owns copyright in apartment photos?

I didn't see the rest of your post earlier, ok I understand. So i would have to get permission in writing from any site. So is the above link wrong?
how is what you linked contrary to what you were told here:

Under U.S. copyright law, absent a written agreement to the contrary, the copyright in a photograph is owned either by the photographer or, if employed to take the photos, the photographer's employer.
I didn't speak to the photographers employer because it is irrelevant to my statement.

The Occultist

Dear Rich: Nolo's Intellectual Property Blog: Who owns copyright in apartment photos?

I didn't see the rest of your post earlier, ok I understand. So i would have to get permission in writing from any site. So is the above link wrong?
Just because you see that website has posted the picture belonging to another website does not mean that the site in question did not receive the necessary permissions to use the picture (or it could mean that they have not received permissions and legal action has not yet been taken against the infringer).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">