• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TM when it's your name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TMquestion

So long story very short. I (with regret) sold my name which is now a trademark of a company. Say hypothetically my name is David James and that has been trade marked. Can i TM Mr David James and refer to myself as that? I have checked and this has not been TM'd.

I have started a new company and it is causing so much confusion by what people can refer to me as when advertising the product.

Lots of lessons have been learnt along this path!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You can use your own name, if that's what you mean. You don't have to change your name and start going by John Doe. You can still put your name on your business cards, etc.. You can't have your business with your name.

Why on earth would anyone want to buy the trademark on someone's legal name knowing they still retain the right to use their own name?

Unless you change your name legally, in business you still must use your legal name. You must have your bank accounts in your legal name, sign you legal name to contracts, etc..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">