• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using A Celebrities Likeness Without Authorization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zstei001

Hello All!

This is my first time posting here. I have an idea for an iPhone application, however it would require me to use the image and likeness of a well known athlete/celebrity for it to work. It's hard to explain how that is possible without giving away the idea of the application. Essentially, it would use an image of the person, as well as having that persons name in the title of the app.

I know that it is against the law in the U.S. to use the likeness or image of a private citizen without their authorization, but does this apply to celebrities? I seem to remember that celebrities and political figures cannot restrict the use of their name and/or likeness because they have made themselves public figures.

I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts or opinion on this matter.

Thanks in advance,

zstei001

I'mTheFather

Hello All!

This is my first time posting here. I have an idea for an iPhone application, however it would require me to use the image and likeness of a well known athlete/celebrity for it to work. It's hard to explain how that is possible without giving away the idea of the application. Essentially, it would use an image of the person, as well as having that persons name in the title of the app.

I know that it is against the law in the U.S. to use the likeness or image of a private citizen without their authorization, but does this apply to celebrities? I seem to remember that celebrities and political figures cannot restrict the use of their name and/or likeness because they have made themselves public figures.

I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts or opinion on this matter.

Thanks in advance,

zstei001
Wow! If that's true, all those companies paying millions for product endorsements will feel like fools! :rolleyes:

zstei001

Certainly, there is a distinct difference between a product endorsement and using a celebrities likeness.

zstei001

Thanks ecmst12. So to clarify, you are confirming that there is a law against using a public figure's likeness in a product/service?

zstei001

Thanks for the link. That spells it out pretty clearly. I don't need to get sued by a celebrity, or anyone for that matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">