• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Profile Not Removed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZeldaFan182

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

If I requested a profile to be taken off a site and it has not been, can I do anything about it?

justalayman

More than likely, no, you have no recourse. You need to read the terms of service to determine if you actually have any rights here.

davidmcbeth3

you could sue them I guess ... for what ? who knows ... victory in sight? who knows .... I'm sure that just the suit itself would grant the relief ~ who would spend $10,000 to argue with you?

What do the terms of service say, and how much of this profile can you edit to remove pertinent info?

Chances are this won't be worth your time to sue. You'd have to travel to the location of whoever owns the forums.

justalayman

What do the terms of service say, and how much of this profile can you edit to remove pertinent info?

Chances are this won't be worth your time to sue. You'd have to travel to the location of whoever owns the forums.

In most cases, it would be a fruitless endeavor anyway. Most TOS I have read allow the site to retain possession of anything the poster posts, including their profile.

I think the best option is something you did hit on though:

go back and alter the profile. I have done so to remove as much true information as I could. Change your name, location, or anything else you can to a fictitious answer.

That's what I was getting at, and why I suggested altering the profile. Every TOS for a forum I've read has given the forum owner the right to retain all information and to use any statements written in the forum in any way they see fit. This is why it's often recommended to not use one's own real name as a handle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">