• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark or copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bismark99

Do I need a Trademark or copyright?

Question to any expert:
I have a catch phrase such as:
"My two favorite teams are the**************. and whoever is playing the **************" do I need to copyright or trademark to use it on a bumper sticker, t-shirts etc.? If so how much will it cost? I don't know even if it works so I just need a little help that will be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:

The Occultist

A Google search of "can I copyright a phrase" provided a link to this website: Can I Copyright a Phrase?

As with all things on the internet, you should take that advice with a grain of salt, and double up on your research by vising uspto.gov and copyright.gov

There are a couple of regular posters that do know a thing or two in this area and may be able to give you better insight, but my advice is: good luck registering/enforcing any phrase as you will be left with little, if any, protections.

FlyingRon

First off "getting a copyright or trademark" doesn't give you authority to do something, it only asserts rights you have (possibly) to prevent others from doing things with it.

Copyright is not an issue here as occ says.

The two big issues whether the names involved have trademarks or right of publicity to them. Sports teams are pretty aggressive in their trademark defense.

Here's actually a pretty good article on the subject:

http://www.erikjheels.com/1317.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">