• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Publishing family genealogy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Piter_Joyce

I have a family genealogy book self-published by a distant relative in 1928 that I inherited from my grandmother. Can I reproduce this book and sell it? Can I post the contents on a website?

I also have a copy of a church log from a church that burned down in the early 1900's. Can I copy and sell this?

I live in the state of Maryland, if that's relevant.

Thanks.

LdiJ

I have a family genealogy book self-published by a distant relative in 1928 that I inherited from my grandmother. Can I reproduce this book and sell it? Can I post the contents on a website?

I also have a copy of a church log from a church that burned down in the early 1900's. Can I copy and sell this?

I live in the state of Maryland, if that's relevant.

Thanks.
That book wouldn't perhaps be the Pierpont Book, would it?

LdiJ

No, I've never heard of that. This book is my family genealogy.
I asked..LOL..because my family also has a couple of editions of a self published genealogy book in which one edition was published in the same year as yours. I thought that the year was a bit of a coincidence...that's all. Had yours been the Pierpont Book too, we might have been distantly related.

Normally the publishing rights for those type of books are inherited down the main line that published them.

Here is some general copywrite information:

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.
Your family book was published 84 years ago so odds are its still under copywrite. However do get yourself a copy of Circular 15a and Circular 1 and study them. You also have to keep in mind that other branches of your family (particularly if your immediate family isn't the main family line of the book) may have published later editions which would also effect the copywrite status. Our family book has been published every 50 or 60 years since it was first started, some centuries ago. I have literally no idea who has copywrite for our book. The last published edition that I am aware of was in the early 70's and my deceased paternal grandmother was the only one who knew who contacted her to ask if she wanted to purchase a copy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">