• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about intellectual property when it comes to novels

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

711Savior

Hello.
I am an aspiring author living in the United States of America. I have read that when you complete a novel or other literary works, the intellectual property becomes yours automatically, even if you don't register it. Is that true? Thank you.

justalayman

yes, any work is covered by copyright protection merely by the act of producing it in a tangible form. There are benefits to registering your rights though. If nothing else, it supports your claim to actually owning the rights but there are other benefits as well.

711Savior

yes, any work is covered by copyright protection merely by the act of producing it in a tangible form. There are benefits to registering your rights though. If nothing else, it supports your claim to actually owning the rights but there are other benefits as well.
Alright, thank you very much. I'm just going to go ahead and get my work copyrighted. I always thought that it was multiple thousands of dollars to do this, but I've read it's only around $100. Could anyone point me in the right direction to begin the process? Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">