• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5 Major Differential Repairs in 28K Miles - Jeep

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mwoolf

I am a resident of Virginia.

My 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited has had 5 major drive train failures, each of which required either a replacement or rebuilding of a differential.

Differential Problem 1:

· September 20, 1997 – Vehicle purchased new from Dulles Jeep/Eagle in Leesburg Virginia, and was delivered with 428 miles.
· September 30, 1997 – Vehicle was returned to Dulles Jeep/Eagle for vibration and excessive noise from the front-end while driving. The mechanic reported no problem found, but the noise continued. Dealer agreed to contact Chrysler Service for assistance in resolution. Service Invoice #96256. Mileage was 750.
· October 24, 1997 – Conversation with Dulles Jeep/Eagle service advisor (Mack Stetler). Chrysler Service acknowledged a problem and was still looking for a solution. I logged a complaint with Chrysler Customer Service, file #4457301.
· November 18, 1997 - Vehicle was returned to Dulles Jeep/Eagle for a repair indicated for this problem by Chrysler Service. The front propeller shaft and universal joints were replaced under warranty. This fixed the vibration, but not the noise. Service Invoice #98089. Mileage was 2,025.
· November 26, 1997 - Vehicle was returned to Dulles Jeep/Eagle. The noise from the front end was getting worse. The mechanic said noise was not harmful, and that I should continue to drive the vehicle. Service Invoice #98379. Mileage was 2,230.
· December 4, 1997 – I was unsatisfied with the resolution, and spoke to Chrysler Customer Service (Kyle McLenithan) who opened another file #45295526. At Mr. McLenithan’s suggestion, I took the Jeep to another dealer for an additional opinion.
· December 5, 1997 – Vehicle was taken to Farrish Jeep in Fairfax Virginia. No problem was found. Service Invoice #384644. Mileage was 2,302.
· February 9, 1998 - Vehicle was returned to Dulles Jeep/Eagle, with the noise from the front end continuing to become louder. The front differential was replaced under warranty. Service Invoice # 1206. Mileage was 4,118.

Differential Problem 2:
· December 8, 1998 - Vehicle was returned to Farrish Jeep, with the noise from the rear end. The rear differential was replaced under warranty. Service Invoice #414266. Mileage was 9,395.

Differential Problem 3:
· September 22, 1999 - Vehicle was returned to Farrish Jeep, with the noise from the front end. The front differential was rebuilt under warranty. Service Invoice #439179. Mileage was 14,394.

Differential Problem 4:
· September 29, 2000 - Vehicle was returned to Farrish Jeep, with the noise from the front end. The front differential was rebuilt under warranty. Service Invoice #JECS34005. Mileage was 23,010.

Differential Problem 5:
· April 20, 2001 - Vehicle was returned to Farrish Jeep, with the noise from the rear end. The service advisor there, Andy, advised that the rear differential was badly worn, and needed to be rebuilt. Service Invoice #JECS49095. Mileage was 28,134.

Chrysler indicate to me that I had to apply to their arbritation process. I sent this information to them. They declined to hear the case, stating that since the vehicle is no longer covered by the 36 month, 36,000 mile manufacturer's warranty.

What recourse do I have now?

L

lawrat

Well, at this point, I really think you need to see an attorney. You have statute of limitations issues and other legal time limitations or corporate internal arbitration problems.

On the surface, it looks like there was a lot of bad faith on the part of the parties involved (not you but the others).
http://www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">