• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my site legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrewerts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.
Hello FreeAdvice...
I purchased a web site about 6 weeks ago that I have been working on developing. It uses a software package that uses the YouTube API to display and play (through embedding) Youtube videos that fit categories that I select. Last week, I was contacted by the owner of one of the videos that has been embedded by my site claiming copyright infringement. The maker of my sites software claims that the owner agrees to public publishing of their video by YouTube's terms of service when uploading the video and has the ability to block it from being embedded on other sites through permissions in their control panel and since the software does not violate YouTubes terms of service, my site is completely legal. The owner of the video won't have anything to do with this argument and is threatening to sue for copyright infringement. Below are a couple of links for reference about YouTubes TOS and API system. What are your feeling on this? the name of my site is available upon request, message me.
Rick

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=63748

http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

justalayman

from what I could find, this is not settled law. there is a suit about: Flava Works Inc. v. Gunter

where a preliminary injunction was granted by the courts ordering Gunter to cease the embedding.

Depending on how that case is resolved will be your answer.

rrewerts

from what I could find, this is not settled law. there is a suit about: Flava Works Inc. v. Gunter

where a preliminary injunction was granted by the courts ordering Gunter to cease the embedding.

Depending on how that case is resolved will be your answer.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on this.
Rick

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">