• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair Use?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

js20077

Michigan

I would like to make a short film parodying a movie character. What are the laws regarding parodying characters from movies. A short film that I found that is similar to what I want to do is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diSBTmDJ_do. Did that movie break any laws?

asiny

I would like to make a short film parodying a movie character. What are the laws regarding parodying characters from movies.
Depends on the movie and the company holding the licensing.
Some movie companies have copyrighted things created for the film.. i.e. Bubba Gump Shrimp Company- licensed from Viacom. Sony holds HEAVY copyright on Ghostbusters and have been known to C&D on occasions. LucasFilm holds copyright to a large portion of characters (and costume designs) from his works.. and has been known to bring down the LucasHammer on those violators.
A short film that I found that is similar to what I want to do is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diSBTmDJ_do. Did that movie break any laws?
They did violate copyright with the use of copyrighted music in their works :D

js20077

thanks for the response. Another question

Thank you for the response. I knew about the music and I already had planned on getting an original score fr the film. My main concern is the legality surrounding the use of a character from a different movie in my own. Does anybody know if that would fall under fair use.

js20077

Does it matter if it is non profit?

Can someone make a batman or superman movie for example as long as they don't try to profit from it. The reason I ask is because there is a great deal of "fan films" on youtube featuring characters that the major studios own. The filmmakers defense when I ask about the legality of that is that there is nothing the studios can do as long as the film is non profit. I would like to know if that is true or not.

asiny

Thank you for the response. I knew about the music and I already had planned on getting an original score fr the film. My main concern is the legality surrounding the use of a character from a different movie in my own. Does anybody know if that would fall under fair use.
What you are looking for is not a question that has a simple- direct- answer.

It all depends on the rights holder's. Which you won't know until you get a letter from them... if at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">