• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen pictures of the dental work posted elsewhere online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alx

I am in PA, I've had major dental work (full mouth restoration worth a nice car) done a few months ago.

The doctor who did the job has taken pictures of my teeth before and after and published online on their website, with my consent. That doctor is in Costa Rica, if that matters.

Now I stumbled across these same pictures in a "gallery" on a totally unrelated website of some dental clinic in New York City. Clearly the pictures were stolen.

I feel bad because I let my doctor to benefit from the pictures of the work he had done, by posting in his portfolio of work. The way this NYC shop is presenting all the "before and after" doesn't list explicitly it's their work, but is clearly misleading any of their prospective patient. I've spent many hours online browsing such galleries before I made a decision to go with my doctor and I detest these scam techniques when they steal someone else's work and use it to attract clients.

I'm looking to a) have the NYC clinic to remove my dental pictures from their website, b) have them remove any other pictures that are not theirs, and if feasible, c) have them take a lesson where they pay some damages.

Any suggestions how to approach?

Thanks.

FlyingRon

Your teeth are not protected by copyright. Photos belong to the photographer not to the subject.

Further, we have no idea on Costa Rican law. This is a US Forum only.

Hot Topic

It's hard not to laugh after reading your post. For one thing, what "damages" do you think you're entitled to? For another, how many people are going to be able to tell that the teeth they're looking at are yours? And why should they care?

If you're so desperate for money, get a second job. There's something wrong with you.:rolleyes:

alx

It's hard not to laugh after reading your post. For one thing, what "damages" do you think you're entitled to? For another, how many people are going to be able to tell that the teeth they're looking at are yours? And why should they care?

If you're so desperate for money, get a second job. There's something wrong with you.:rolleyes:
Thank you for your opinion, now you can go ahead and read my post again to get an idea what exactly is the problem. And the problem is, the fancy expensive dentist in NYC scoured the net for pictures of other doctor's work and presenting it as if he made such a wonderful job.

Seeking damages would be purely for the purpose of making a stronger point. I would send any and all proceeds to charity, or to you if that helps in your understanding of the problem at hand.

alx

Your teeth are not protected by copyright. Photos belong to the photographer not to the subject.

Further, we have no idea on Costa Rican law. This is a US Forum only.
Understood, thank you. I will forward this to my Costa Rican dentist office.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What you seem to NOT understand is that you have no say in this matter.

alx

What you seem to NOT understand is that you have no say in this matter.
I do understand that actually. I'm forwarding to my dentist and I'm sure they would be interested to get the pictures of their work removed.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Seeking damages would be purely for the purpose of making a stronger point. I would send any and all proceeds to charity,

YOU would not receive a penny. YOU have not been damaged. YOU do not have anything at all to say in the matter.

IF your dentist is interested in pursuing this and did not sell the rights to the website in question, IF any damages were payable at all they would be payable to HIM. Not YOU.

alx

Seeking damages would be purely for the purpose of making a stronger point. I would send any and all proceeds to charity,

YOU would not receive a penny. YOU have not been damaged. YOU do not have anything at all to say in the matter.

IF your dentist is interested in pursuing this and did not sell the rights to the website in question, IF any damages were payable at all they would be payable to HIM. Not YOU.
I got it, I got it. The caps are for deaf people, I'm not. ;)

I sincerely hope my dentist can manage to at least get the pictures pulled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">