• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copy right issue for a image.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amknightmare

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am making a website which is education based, but i might add advertisements for a little income in the future. I have taken a photo from http://hidefwallpaper.org/ , how ever that photo doesn't have any name or copyright signs in it. I do know its illegal to edit it, but i can't find the author to ask for permission. I'm using the photo as part of the logo in my site.
Question is, is this illegal? (most likely...)
Another question is, if the author is able to identify his/her photo, what is the maximum risk I am taking? for example, * immedialy website shut down * notice to remove it, * etc.
Thanks for any advice.!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am making a website which is education based, but i might add advertisements for a little income in the future. I have taken a photo from http://hidefwallpaper.org/ , how ever that photo doesn't have any name or copyright signs in it. I do know its illegal to edit it, but i can't find the author to ask for permission. I'm using the photo as part of the logo in my site.
Question is, is this illegal? (most likely...)
Another question is, if the author is able to identify his/her photo, what is the maximum risk I am taking? for example, * immedialy website shut down * notice to remove it, * etc.
Thanks for any advice.!
Stealing is illegal. You really have to ask? You KNOW it's not yours...you're just looking for ways to justify your illegal acts. Not gonna happen.

amknightmare

yes i do know its not mine, but i couldn't find the author of the image. And the website is educational , so would that fall under fair use?

FlyingRon

yes i do know its not mine, but i couldn't find the author of the image. And the website is educational , so would that fall under fair use?
Just because the site is educational in nature doesn't give you free reign to steal any image you want.
The fact you are too lazy or stupid to find the owner of the image doesn't make it legal for you to steal it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">