• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whether goods of two companies using the same trademark fall under separate classes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmt111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I just found another company using my trademark. I started using mine in commerce in 2011. The first I noticed them using the trademark was last month, when I found them on an internet search. Neither I nor they have registered the trademark, and I’m not certain who was using the trademark first. In any case, I’m trying to ascertain whether we would both be permitted to use the trademark by determining whether the goods being sold fall into separate categories. Can anyone confirm whether books / book publishing fall under a separate class from computer software for the purpose of trademark law?

jmt111

Follow up to the above question

If no one knows the answer about this, can anyone offer any general advice regarding getting information on classes of goods?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">