• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark drug names?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I've seen a company trademark several drug names, and the marks appear to be live. An example would be Sildenafil.

1. How does something like this get approved that has been used for years and years?
2. What happens if I have a site like spamming.com now that it's trademarked?
3. Am I supposed to spend tens of thousands of dollars on lawyer fees to try to keep my site?
Dude, that's a GENERIC name, not the marketing name; and that's all up to the FDA.

doogie88

Dude, that's a GENERIC name, not the marketing name; and that's all up to the FDA.
I know it's the generic name, so how can they possibly let someone trademark it. I mean it's not like Pfizer trademarking it, just some random company.
How is that possible?

FlyingRon

I know it's the generic name, so how can they possibly let someone trademark it. I mean it's not like Pfizer trademarking it, just some random company.
How is that possible?
Where are you finding these alleged trademarks? The term is a generic descriptive name and it is not eligible for trademark. If find no entry for Sildenafil. There is one DEAD app there where someone attempted to register "Sildenafil Soft Tab" it but didn't respond to the USPTO. It was never registered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">