• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I try to use the cash from the game I want to patent to patent the game itself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keysle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

Should I try to use the cash from the game I want to patent to patent the game itself?

I have a brilliant Idea. But I have nearly no money to immediately "get on with" the intellectual property protection process.
Is it safe to earn money from the idea and then use that money to protect the idea?
I spoke to Davison's patenting company before and they gave me a range of $3000 - $10,000 just for some of the initial steps. I went to them about a board game... not this new computer game idea I have. They said electronic games/toys can be even more expensive. I'm not sure if that encompassed video games though.

If I develop a game and everyone "knows" I made it first & in hand I had something that parallel's (if not greatly exceeds) a "poor man's patent" is my idea safe?

Here's a video of me stressing out about it and asking the same thing. I feel as though sometimes I convey myself more clearly (in some ways) when I speak (and use gestures)
http://youtu.be/O5jeqzmwnvc

FlyingRon

If you start using the game invention in commerce prior to filing a patent application, it will no longer be considered novel and eligible for patent at all.
You need to at least get the provisional patent filed prior to using it online. This issue isn't establishing primacy (poor man's patent) at that point.

FlyingRon

Thanks. I learned from others that I should be more focused on "Copyright" than a patent.
Copyright doesn't protect ideas, only the expression of those ideas. If I want to make my own game where flying pigs attack things it isn't going to infringe on Angry Birds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">