• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a similar logo infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craigqc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Another photographer is claiming that i stole his design for a logo watermark. They do appear similar but also have differences. he claims to be the owner but has not provided a serial number from the USPTO. I know this is not necessary to have the copyright but it would show what exact design elements I would need to change.
The design is a simple with 3 red blocks arranged horizontally with our initials in them in white text. His is "MLP" and mine is "CMP" with our respective names beneath the blocks. They are different shades of red, different fonts and different font sizes within the blocks. I offered to modify my design if he could show me what he "owns" in return i only got a cease and desist letter.

I have never seen his logo before and have no intentions of stealing someone else's work. He found my online portfolio and just said that I need to take it down or he would contact his lawyer and the website admins of the pages where it can be found.

He is also now having his models comment on my work with the logo and say that it reminds them of his logo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">