• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are fictional languages public domain?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jstock23

Massachusetts

Hello,

I'm currently making an Android app that will hopefully translate sentences into elvish (Quenya and Sindarin). These languages were created by J. R. R. Tolkien and used in his various books including The Lord of the Rings. The app will take some time to develop, so I will only do it if I can charge for it and be compensated (or at least have ads). I would only charge $1.

Will I get my pants sued off by The Tolkien Estates?

I would only be using the words and grammar, and would in no way reproduce passages from any books or the like. Does a fictional language fall under public domain or fair use?

Thanks!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Massachusetts

Hello,

I'm currently making an Android app that will hopefully translate sentences into elvish (Quenya and Sindarin). These languages were created by J. R. R. Tolkien and used in his various books including The Lord of the Rings. The app will take some time to develop, so I will only do it if I can charge for it and be compensated (or at least have ads). I would only charge $1.

Will I get my pants sued off by The Tolkien Estates?

I would only be using the words and grammar, and would in no way reproduce passages from any books or the like. Does a fictional language fall under public domain or fair use?

Thanks!
If you're going to make money off of JRRT's works, then you will be sued by the Tolkien Estate. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">