• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I stole someones Artist Name???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zhentz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

So ever since I've started producing music, I came up with a name such as BassJunkiez. As common as you'd think it'd be, no one had it. I couldn't find it anywhere. I could find Bass Junkies, but not BassJunkiez. I liked the name and it fit my style. This was created May 22, 2010. I just got a Facebook post about 20 minutes ago from a person(s) who's name is 'Bass Junkiez' said, "why u copy ur name? You know i have copyright ? You will recive notices of my lawyer." I asked to see the proof of papers and he says I will be receiving papers from his lawyers in a few days? I'm assuming he lives somewhere in Europe due to the fact that he is posting things and selling them for Euros.

Is this him trying to sue me? Can he sue me? I've never sold anything commercially at all under the name BassJunkiez.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

So ever since I've started producing music, I came up with a name such as BassJunkiez. As common as you'd think it'd be, no one had it. I couldn't find it anywhere. I could find Bass Junkies, but not BassJunkiez. I liked the name and it fit my style. This was created May 22, 2010. I just got a Facebook post about 20 minutes ago from a person(s) who's name is 'Bass Junkiez' said, "why u copy ur name? You know i have copyright ? You will recive notices of my lawyer." I asked to see the proof of papers and he says I will be receiving papers from his lawyers in a few days? I'm assuming he lives somewhere in Europe due to the fact that he is posting things and selling them for Euros.

Is this him trying to sue me? Can he sue me? I've never sold anything commercially at all under the name BassJunkiez.
Obviously you publicized yourself using this name somewhere. The actual owner of the name and copyright learned of your breach and sent you a cease and desist. It's entirely possible that he will have his attorney contact you further.

Since you haven't sold anything under this name yet, I would suggest a name change ASAP.

zhentz

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes I haven't used the name for quite some time now as I've been going by my last name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">