• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i get in trouble Legally for this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marceliino

i have the source of the website pokemoncreed.net

And i have searched and there is no legal copyrights or trademarks for the website.

Therfore am i able to use its source on my website?

orangeena

No, you cannot take someone else's code and use it. I don't have a legal background, but I was in graphic design for many years.

Creative work (code that creates the design of a site included) does not have to be formally copyrighted for the creator to own it. The moment a photo, painting, brochure, website, book, etc is complete, the work is owned by its creator, unless there is a putchase agreement or contract in place that says otherwise. (ex. Company X hires design firm Y to create a website. X and Y have a contract that Y's work will be owned by company X upon completion.)

Do people steal code from sites? Probably quite a bit. It's still stealing though. This is why there are companies making money off of selling website templates. There are also plenty of sites that offer free templates and survive off of advertising and donations.

Find a free template somewhere that you like and tweak it to fit your needs.

jmeasns

Orangeena is correct. The code on the site is not "yours", just like the words in a book you own can't be duplicated and sold under your name. TBH, their html is pretty bad anyway; you can find better stuff for free.

If you want to set up a website, look at wordpress.com, freewebs.com, etc to set something up without building it, or wordpress.org, magento.com, concrete5.com, joomla.com, drupal.com, etc for a content management system (with templates) that you can get running quickly. You can also find any of a variety of web hosting companies (hostmonster.com, 1and1.com, etc) who all provide templates and web building tools.

Stealing someone else's work is not a good idea, even if you could get away with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">